Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question or three before buying DFX Importer

1. Question A question or three before buying DFX Importer

If I import a DXF file created in V-Carve Pro, does the designer software follow the same tool paths retaining the depth and size of the V-Carve project?

Will it prompt me for the tool bit changes or at least ask me what bits and depth I want to use?

Does the DFX file even have this info in it?

Ne Help Appreciated

TIA: Carrott

the dxf importer just simply imports the the lines. Once imported into designer you are able to assign tools and depth. I love the dxf importer.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinetdesigner View Post
    the dxf importer just simply imports the the lines. Once imported into designer you are able to assign tools and depth. I love the dxf importer.
    But can you actually pick a tool and depth. I wish you could at least bring the work into the designer and maybe even preview the toolpath. I just dont want to spend $200 and only be able to do the same as if I would just import a bitmat image into the designer.

Carrott

Quote Originally Posted by Carrott View Post
    But can you actually pick a tool and depth. I wish you could at least bring the work into the designer and maybe even preview the toolpath. I just dont want to spend $200 and only be able to do the same as if I would just import a bitmat image into the designer.

Carrott
    Yes, It will create vector object which you can assign a bit and depth. When you import a bitmap you are createing a rsdter pattern which only can use the 1/16 carving bit. If you have a drawing program that can export to adobe illustrator 8, I would play around with ai2mpc to see if it meets your needs.
    Doug Fletcher

5. Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Yes, It will create vector object which you can assign a bit and depth. When you import a bitmap you are createing a rsdter pattern which only can use the 1/16 carving bit. If you have a drawing program that can export to adobe illustrator 8, I would play around with ai2mpc to see if it meets your needs.
    I have autocad architecure 8 and I also have v-carve pro V5, photo vcarve, and cut 3d. Usually I just save the toolpaths as a mach 3 file and run it through a CNC machine. However the carvewright does not support importing g-code, so I probably have to import each cut path seperately. I no longer have access to a CNC which is why I purchased this puppy, and am having a hard time getting the results that I desire on it though. For instance I bought Centerline Text and decided to make a clock face. The numerals all turned out to be noticably different sizes and depths even though I made sure every one was set up the same in designer. I even put the 1 and # in seperately for the numbers 10, 11, 12. I used to spend 20 minutes on the computer, make a test carve, and maybe fix a thing or too. Now I spend 8 hours on a project, waste 30' x 15" of material and every time I change one thing 3 others change with it.

Carrott

Sounds like you need a g-code cnc! I have a 2514 K2 CNC I never used, I too have V-Carve pro V4 and photo V Carve and Cut 3D and Mach 3 and don't have a clue how to use any of the software! I even sold a never used Shopbot 4896! All because of the CW and I learned the designer and it does all I want. Now you make me wonder if I ever get around to using my K2 before I sell it, will there be that much of a difference? We seemed to have opposite issues!

You know if you post your mpc, we can take a look and see if we see anything.

Ike

7. Red face

[QUOTE=Ike;145651]Sounds like you need a g-code cnc! I have a 2514 K2 CNC I never used, I too have V-Carve pro V4 and photo V Carve and Cut 3D and Mach 3 and don't have a clue how to use any of the software! I even sold a never used Shopbot 4896! All because of the CW and I learned the designer and it does all I want. Now you make me wonder if I ever get around to using my K2 before I sell it, will there be that much of a difference? We seemed to have opposite issues!

I learned to use V-Carve at college so I find it easy to use. I have no instructor here except the tutorials and the forums. (PS. What is with the audio in the tutorials, I can hardly understand through the static.)

NEWAY here is my clock face... If you flip the board you will see the cutout for the clock works. It usually goes off center when I carve the project for some reason or another.
    Lemme know whats I'm doing wrong plz.

Carrott
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Centering

[QUOTE=Carrott;145652]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Sounds like you need a g-code cnc! I have a 2514 K2 CNC I never used, I too have V-Carve pro V4 and photo V Carve and Cut 3D and Mach 3 and don't have a clue how to use any of the software! I even sold a never used Shopbot 4896! All because of the CW and I learned the designer and it does all I want. Now you make me wonder if I ever get around to using my K2 before I sell it, will there be that much of a difference? We seemed to have opposite issues!

I learned to use V-Carve at college so I find it easy to use. I have no instructor here except the tutorials and the forums. (PS. What is with the audio in the tutorials, I can hardly understand through the static.)

NEWAY here is my clock face... If you flip the board you will see the cutout for the clock works. It usually goes off center when I carve the project for some reason or another.
    Lemme know whats I'm doing wrong plz.

Carrott
    Carrott,
    Your carve, on the back, is centered correctly (Centered Vertically).
    However, your drill hole, shows it was Centered Horizontally in error and then set a specific distance from Horizontal center. Go back and set the drill hole to Center vertically, and I think you will be OK.

Sometimes we get mixed up, and loose track of what is Vertical & Horizontal, as we rotate the design board.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

The one thing I notice is the the numbers are no equidistant from the edge. Was this by design? For example, the 6 is about 3/4" a way from the clock circle edge, while the "12" is less than 1/2" a way
    Doug Fletcher

10. Red face

Carrott,
    Your carve, on the back, is centered correctly (Centered Vertically).
    However, your drill hole, shows it was Centered Horizontally in error and then set a specific distance from Horizontal center. Go back and set the drill hole to Center vertically, and I think you will be OK.

Bud, actually... we were discussing the Carvewright DXF Importer and kinda wandered to this topic. I stated that I bought the Centerline text and attempted to make this clock. (the center of the clock is where I want it as text goes above the clock and a logo or emblum below it.)

It was the font on the clock face I wanted someone to look at. Check out the number 9 compared to the number 3. When carved it looks awefull yet all the numbers are the same depth and size in the carvewright settings.

Carrott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast