Thread: Machine does not perform all cutouts. What to do?

Unhappy Machine does not perform all cutouts. What to do?

Hello,
    I have been working on making switch plates for the rectangular switches. At on time the pattern worked. Now it will not cut out the center hole for the switch. I have deleted it and reentered in into the design program, but it still will not cut it out. When I had it just cut out that part of the design, it rips the switch plate away from the tabs and destroys it. After almost two hours of carving time each time I try and multiple tries at trying to get it to work....... I just want to throw the machine in the trash. Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkinwa View Post
    Hello,
    I have been working on making switch plates for the rectangular switches. At on time the pattern worked. Now it will not cut out the center hole for the switch. I have deleted it and reentered in into the design program, but it still will not cut it out. When I had it just cut out that part of the design, it rips the switch plate away from the tabs and destroys it. After almost two hours of carving time each time I try and multiple tries at trying to get it to work....... I just want to throw the machine in the trash. Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on?
    Begin by posting your MPC.

You must also remember that if you re-carve an item that has been "Cut-out", it's better to place that piece in a jig/sled rather than expecting the piece to be held by small tabs.
    AskBud

AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

The cutout is in a sled. I first route our a recess is the back. Flip it over and then carve the front. It carves the front okay, uses a 1/4 bullnose okay, drills the two holes for the screws, then instead of cutting the hole for the swithch (which is in the design) it cuts out the sides of the switch and then stops and tells me it's finished.

Post the MPC and let us (Bud) take a look.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Smile

Here is the mpc file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Switch plate

Quote Originally Posted by hawkinwa View Post
    Here is the mpc file.
    hawkinwa,
    It appears that you have assigned 2 cut-outs to the switch area. Removing one, should solve your main problem.
    I would also reduce the "Minimum" number of Tabs on that inner cut-out. Leaving 4 tabs will leave lots of wood in that tiny space.
    AskBud

Attachment added 1/8/2011
    Attachment 41233
    Last edited by AskBud; 01-08-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Picture added
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Hello, I removed the second cutout of the center. I put it there trying to get it to cut it out. Cleaned it up so it was it's own line item and tried carving again. Same results.

The recess in the back is reducing the thickness of the tabs for the center cutout, if I read your dimensions right almost to nothing. Increase the height of the tabs to maximum to compensate. I would also increase the height and number of tabs on the outer cutout. (I'm not sure how to tell what your original tabs settings are, but I think you have only two tabs on the outer cutout and minimum height set? I would try 4 tabs minimum and maximum height.)