Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: CarveWright Designer wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by FelixPQ View Post
    Hi,

I understand that designer and any of it's add-ons are neither CAD or CAM programs and that's perfectly alwright. I assume they will never be either. I've read quite a few interesting posts here and learn a few things in the process.

Here is my wish list:
    1- A mean to setup a tool database with control over the feed rate, depth of cut, bit profile possibly, etc. I don't even mind if designer doesn't show what it would do to the board.
    2- A mean to import 3D vectors and or "toolpaths" in the form of DXF files or any other standard format. The Z value would automatically be used as the depth of cut at minimum and we could just assign any bit we want assuming as well we would also have control over feed rate at minimum.
    3. Better yet IMHO, a full fledge g-code interpreter. This in conjunction with a flexible tool database would provide full control over what the machine does and how it does it. I assume, somekind of mpc would need to be generated.

With 1 and 2 I'd be very happy and with 1 and 3 it would be awsome.

edit: One last thing, it would be nice of LHR to provide the mpc file format in detail. This would allow all sort of things to happen. For instance, I've found a gpl g-code interpreter written in C++ and all would be needed basically is to convert it's output into a mpc file directly. Something like AI2MPC does basically.

Thanks,
    Felix
    Hi,

Some nice suggestions there, Felix. Perhaps we'll see some of that in the future - who knows? Of course, you probably know you can have pretty much all that right now (although I'm always puzzled by some folks' fondness for the old 1970's G-code technology). Trouble is to get that now, means you would need to spend an amount of moola that could buy you several CarveWright machines (i.e., $4k to $8k for a small format brand-x CNC, and perhaps another $2K to $10k for add-on software to be able to import 3D DXF, etc.).

I think you may know I also have a ShopBot Buddy PRS Alpha BT48 CNC. Retail of that machine is about $18,000 as I have it equipped. Great machine to be sure, but for the most part, I can do just about everything it can do on my herd of CarveWright machines, too. Just requires a good understanding of working with the features we already have in the CW software, along with some creative thinking thrown in here and there. Honestly, I love the Bot and my CarveWrights equally well.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-17-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

This has been asked for several times but , I'm going to ask again... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us a plug-in that will import VECTOR ARTWORK for a CENTERLINE V-carve. The DXF importer does not work for this if you want to maintain all the proper line flourishes that makes the artwork look like hand-drawn artwork. Just about every other software maker seems to have addressed this feature for their users so why not Carvewright? I am getting frustrated having to jump through hoops to do this through font glyphs as it doesn't always work properly.

Is there something difficult about this that I am not grasping? Seems like the machine would be perfectly suited to have a plug-in like this.

Default Carve Time Display

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    I think all he is asking for is a way to ask it to estimate carve time without having to have the card inserted, not having is constantly shown in real time. I mentioned this in a post a while back. This would allow you to do something and then ask it to calculate carve time. This would be extremely helpful in understanding how different design actions affect carve time.
    While we wait on a module like suggested, I have a a 2nd memory card. This way, I may have one running in the machine and another at the PC. Now it is fairly simple to do an upload when ever I wish, to test the premise of which you speak.

It also gives me the ability to work on a scan download, while running another scan or carve. I also have 2 scanning sleds!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

The ability to assign a 22.5 degree V bit to Centerline Text.

Sure would be nice to see what the Text would look like in Designer.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

How about the ability to shape text. Something beyond curved such as curved top with flat bottom or curved top and bottom with different arcs, etc.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Not sure if this has been wished for but, the ability to rotate a design as a whole object and also to be able to resize it as a whole.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Default Resizing

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Not sure if this has been wished for but, the ability to rotate a design as a whole object and also to be able to resize it as a whole.
    The re-sizing should be fairly simple (as long as you do not have things locked to specific points). It should be as easy as doing a "SELECT ALL". Once there, you should be able to grow or shrink the entire design by using the yellow triangles. The corners keep the ratio, and the mid points skew the design in the direction moved.

My "Download" link, below, contains a lesson titled "Rotating a Large Sign Design" shows the steps you may presently need to take to accomplish the rotation. Usually this may only be needed on someone else's design, as we/I usually know how I wish the carve to be place on the design before starting.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I have a small list of wishes which I have come up with while trying to draw and mill an array of hexagons.

1. Allow insets on non closed curves. There is no mathematical need for the curves to be closed for inset (better called offset). Just use a rule like: offset is to the left when following the curve in the direction of creation. If a person gets the wrong side, he just has to change the sign.

(A reason for needing this feature is so that bit assignments and curves can be more independent. For example, I was assigning the 3/16 bit to mill an array of 36 hexagons with extra space around each. I used non closed paths. The problem is that I decided to change the bit to 1/8, I had to redraw all the curves to get the same size hexagons. This was a whole lot harder than selecting them all and changing the inset.)

2. Selecting an object in the carving list should be exactly equivalent to selecting an object on the board. It is not. If I select an object on the board, the highlight in the list is so faint I can hardly see it as it is light gray. It is dark blue if the object is selected in the list. There are other problems. Features which are normally available after selecting on the board are quite often grayed out and not available if the selection is from the list. For example, copy, select bit, and so on. These selection operations should be connected to exactly the same code.

3. Ctrl click and drag in most Windows drawing programs copies drags and drops. Designer should do this also. Not only because it is useful but because it is a standard Windows operation. The more standard Windows operations which can be included in Designer the more user friendly the program will be.

(Other examples of "non user friendly" behavior involve standard Windows features which should be present because they are features of a standard Microsoft library object. For example, Click on a name in the carving list and change it. If you press enter, the name is changed. If you click elsewhere instead, the name will change back. This is not standard Windows behavior. Imagine the program being used by high school computer whiz kids. This inconsistent Windows behavior is frustrating and steepens their learning curve.
    I think some programming effort into consistently enabling more built-in Microsoft library features and behavior would go a long way.

4. When editing an object in Designer, one can either select and move all the points or select and move a single point. It would be nice if one could select a subset of points and move just them.

I have a request .... During a carve or edge rout, If sun thin happens with the machine, the only option is to abort... Like the other day I was doin an edge rout, The machine measured then started routing.. It did 2 passes on the end and then started doin the first pass down the side.. When it reach the end of the board, it came up with edge detect failed,, no option to continue... If I start over again it wouldn't measure the board correctly because the one end has already been routed.. The machine already measured the board Y would it need to detect the edge and Y can't we have an option to continue... The machine has all the info it needs already...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

How about flat surfaces. ie. top dome or bottom dome that is straight from the low end to the high end rather than curved. Maybe there is another way to do this from with in designer but I don't know how.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast