Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: CarveWright Designer wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by dragoncarver View Post
    how do you change the blocks to 1 inch
    Wow - someone's not reading their Tips & Tricks! (see Issue 3, Dec '07, "Handy Tips for Everyone")

Very basic function everyone should know. Just go to the Layout menu, then select Snap, then type in the desired value in the Snap Interval box. You can also choose whether to Snap Objects to Grid, etc., etc.

I often change the grid sizes several times during the layout of a project. Really helps to put things exactly where you need them, quickly and easily. Try it, you'll like it!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-22-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default 1.131 is good, extend it further

I'm enjoying all the updates with 1.131 and my wish list is about extending those changes further.
    When I cut thin material I use a sled that has extra material around the edges (see Tip & Tricks April 08 for some examples) and I would like to be able to draw a line across my work area to cut the piece in half and have tabs automatically made. Basically, I would like to be able to apply the cutout options to any line I make.
    Next, I like the ability to choose my cut depth on cut paths and would like the ability to choose the cut depth on carvings. If I'm carving soft materials I would like to be able to go deeper for faster carvings and shallower cuts for harder materials.

Thanks,
    Matt

Default Here's a new one

Here is a feature that I think could be beneficial that I didn't see posted yet....

A test mode, where the machine tests all its axes 3 or 4 times as well as run the cut motor at different speeds for 30 seconds or so.

One purpose it would serve - letting the user watch the machine going through it's motions to make sure it's running smoothly and that it doesn't hang up anywhere. The machine should be smart enough to know if the Y and Z axes are traveling their entire range of motion and give a message accordingly. It probably could check the cut motor speed to insure the speed sensor is functioning correctly as well.

Another purpose would be that users could run this mode before carving when the temperature might be a bit cool - it would help loosen up the grease and verify the machine was warm enough to operate before using it on an actual piece of wood.

Being able to check the sensors is a nice feature. But it doesn't help when the cover wires are binding the Y axis or sawdust is binding something else.

Default Something I'd like to see

My design skills are improving rapidly, thanks in large part to the forum. I'm always tweaking mpcs to make them run faster and look better, and I often find myself doing design work while the machine is running. It would be great to be able to get an estimate of run time for a project without going through the upload process, since the card is in use.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Wow - someone's not reading their Tips & Tricks! (see Issue 3, Dec '07, "Handy Tips for Everyone")

Very basic function everyone should know. Just go to the Layout menu, then select Snap, then type in the desired value in the Snap Interval box. You can also choose whether to Snap Objects to Grid, etc., etc.

I often change the grid sizes several times during the layout of a project. Really helps to put things exactly where you need them, quickly and easily. Try it, you'll like it!
    ALWAYS impressed with your responses Michael !!!!! You seem to answer a simple question without demeaning anyone or scolding for not doin a thorough search without actualy providing any help. Thank You

Chuck
    Last edited by 2upchuck; 10-14-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: inaccurate...You Do provide all the help anyone wants, that was my point......sorry if it didn't come out that way

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for the encouragement - I appreciate it very much.

It helps to remember "from whence I came" when first starting out. I recall it was a little scary for me at first, and I got a lot of help from our "more senior" forum members back then (and now, too). So I just try to follow their example and offer whatever I can while traveling along this fun and exciting adventure.

This forum has always been a great resource and a great place to find some help and comfort with some friends. Thanks again!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Z Axes Stall

This doesn't have anything to do with the software, but there should be some warning that the Z Axes is slowing down.
    What happen is I was carving Blue high-des foam and the cuttings got under the roller and the z belt. If I were to wish for something, it would be a shield that would keep cuttings and/or dust out of the belt and rollers. And some way to reto fit a sheild to the machines that are out in the world.

Thanks for listening,
    John Hammett
    Baker City, OR

John, if you do a search on Dust Collectors and CW tables/cabinets you might come up with an excellent way to capture most of any type of dust caused by bit carving on ANY material. Be sure, the foam is hard enough also to handle the pressure of the rollers (about 85# normally) and if it can't, then put the foam onto a jig with walls solid enough to be able to do that. My dust collector virtually keeps all dust from collecting inside and since it has a very large air filter, it also helps a lot with breathing cleaner air in the shop (it's a large Jet Dust Collector).
    Bob Hill

Default Software promise

When I first bought my machine a couple years ago (2006), they said they were working on software that would allow me to use my stl and other cad files. It was to come out within 3 months of my getting my machine -- now almost three years. Is this ever really going to happen? I would have bought a CNC router instead, but since I didn't, I would really like to use my cad files to make model airplane parts, which this machine just can't do with any accuracy.

I'm sure someone has already added this but I didn't want to read through umpteen pages to find out. I'd like to be able to know how long a carve is going to take without having to download it first.

Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast