Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: CarveWright Designer wishlist

It would be nice to have an option that will list all the spec's of the pattern/design you create (i.e. bits being used). So that if you are somewhat forgetful like me you can just print the info sheet and take with you for the actual carving ;-}

Andes

Default If Software Guys are reading this.....

I did not search and see if my ideas are on the wish list but here they are.....

In the Cut Path when the option comes up "Flip Cut", I would love to see an additional option with that screen that lets you select NORMAL or Reduced Depth of Cut. What I would like is to be able to select half the normal depth BITE the bit takes. This would let me feel more comfortable taking Cut Path cuts in OAK and some plastics. Plastics being the real interest... Yes it will cut Oak fine but it makes a racket.....

I would like to see a RCA type Jack or even two screw terminals as part of the contacts in the left cut switch circuit. This would let you wire a remote kill switch for users like me that have the machine running in another room or in my case a separate shop listening on an intercom and camera be able to stop the machine remotely. Easy to add yourself...

I would like to see a remote set of contacts that would trigger a dust collector. Now when it finishes the dust collector runs until I go back to change the bit. I have a on demand switch that I will plug into my dust collector and machine. Contacts would be better.

I would love to see the rotary attachment brought out for Christmas.

AL

Al
    Two things. I have a remote contol on mt dust collector, about $70.00 or they have dust collector controls that work with low voltage made for hooking up blast gates, then when the blast gate is opened the collector turns on . This could easly be converted to the low voltage of the machine I would think. I don't know what voltage this is though.
    Penn State Industries have them.

Do you know anything about this rotary attachment? Is it more like a turntable thats lying down, or is it more like a headstock for spindle turning?

later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Default Default Path

The only thing I would like to see so far that I would like to see added is the ability to have default paths for saving and opening. When I click on 'open' it should go to a folder that I specify, not to 'content.ie5/f0a0o0sq'.

Eric

It defaults to the last folder you opened/saved from (as do most other programs). If you open an MPC directly from the forum (instead of downloading it to your PC somewhere and then opening Designer/loading it) it will be down loaded to your browsers temp folder and the next time you launch Designer it will still point there.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

6. Default Keyboard Shortcuts

I would like to see keyboard shortcuts for zooming and moving the board. For example:

"cmd +" -- zoom in (larger) (also "cmd =", i.e. ignore the shift key)
    "cmd -" -- zoom out (smaller) (also "cmd _")

"left arrow" -- move board right
    "right arrow" -- move board left
    "up arrow" -- move board down
    "down arrow" -- move board up

The arrow-key shortcuts could be combined with "cmd" (or "ctrl") to effect larger or smaller movements.

I have found keyboard shortcuts for tool selection, but have not seen documentation for them.

Hello,

There are shortcuts via the keyboard and mouse movement already, if that helps you...

Shift+Left Mouse Button= Zoom in and out

Shift+Right Mouse Button= Move Board (pan left,right,up,down)

Press and Hold Middle Mouse Wheel= Rotate Board
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-04-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Cool My Ongoing List

OK, I guess I'll throw a "few" of my wishes in the mix. Sorry if some are repeats but the thread is getting long so this will just serve to consolidate them if so.

Designer Additions:

1) Ability to turn the board 90 degrees & "Straight" (for making projects that will hang long ways & Designer "Knows" it so patterns and text are placed on it right. We have to manually turn it now (almost impossible to make it straight) and then rotate all patterns and text 90 degrees. Vertical & Horizontal centering buttons would switch.

2) Ability to rotate vector lines drawn. The same way we can with patterns. I see in 1.130 we can at least "flip" on the Vertical and horizontal axis now. Good Deal LHR...Almost there...lol

3) Ability to connect mirrored vector lines so we only have to draw one side of a shape, mirror it and then connect them to produce a region or cut path.

4) Ability to Break & Add/Remove vertex's to circles and ovals the way we can with every other shape or line.

5) Ability to connect lines or arcs between the vertex's of circles and ovals. Or at least be able to "Snap" line or arc ends to those vertex's.

6) Ability to use attachments on the "centers" of arcs.

7) Ability to import DWG files as vector lines. I can whip up simple or complex line drawings in AutoCad very quickly. Be nice if we could drop them on the board and apply bits. OR, LOL, put those CAD capabilities in Designer.

8 ) Once you have a shape drawn, the ability to resize it in any direction without it going haywire and loosing shape. Especially happens with arcs like in rounded corner squares or rectangles.

9) ONE button to remove ALL attachments at once. Same for constraints. It's time consuming enough to have to ADD all of them in order to force Designer into letting you create complex shapes. But then having to remove them ALL "one at a time" in order to move that shape around? Please.....

10) This is more of a "fix" than an addition. When you have a pattern, or vector shape and you attach it, NOT having the pattern or shape change size. It's funny but say you have a rectangle that's 5" long and 1" wide. When you attach it to the boards edge or center lines, if the attachment "Pulls" it closer, the size doesn't change. BUT, if the attachment "Pushes" it away, the size changes....Why?? I humbly ask.

11) Centerline - Either, Designer should "know" when placing it in a carved region and adjust accordingly OR, Designer should tell the CW to ask us to "manually jog" to the surface it's on in any project that has it in a region.

OK, I have a few more plus some for PE but I have to work now. Plus I'd like to play with the new 1.130. I'll add to this list as I have time.
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 07-05-2008 at 05:27 AM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

How about being able to place a contour on the end face of a piece that could be carried down the length of the board, like on a piece of moulding? Better yet, blend two opposite end profiles along the length? Picture placing two different sized airfoils on the board ends and end up with a tapered wing having a longer chord and/or thicker root at one end versus the other. It would be so easy if splined curves could be placed on the ends and adjusted with the vertex tools rather than placing surface contours on the front face and trying to get the separate regions to match up.
    East Cutty

Default Measuring tool

If there was one thing I would love to see in an update is the addition of a measuring tool that could be used with the mouse movement. Either by a left or right click to place the "A" point and a light line would show up as the mouse went to the point "B".

Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast