Page 46 of 65 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: CarveWright Designer wishlist

Default Drilling and cutting order

I would like control over the order of when each bit is used when drilling or cutting.

I would like to see some updated features added to the Centerline add-on. Namely, more control over text. Examples would be the ability to modify the letter spacing of between two letters rather than all the letters of the selected object. This would be beneficial when laying out text across two designer boards and you don't want a letter to fall on the split between boards. Yes, creating two text objects works but it requires a lot of fiddling to get everything to look right. It would also be nice to flow text along a path so you can create more than just arcs.

Since the centerline plug-in already follows a vector patch and determines the depth of cut by the thickness of the letter why not just let the plug-in work with vector art? This way everyone can stop jumping into other programs to create art and place it into a font for import.
    John

Default Software updates how often??

I have seen tons of great features that could make the Designer very friendly and very powerful... But the suggestions I see here are mostly that... Does CW software coders even bother to look here??? The updates seem to be few and far between too... I still have troubles with the software taking so long to first check firmware, then upload the file to an archaic memory card...

Personally I'd like to see a point extrusion feature like in Paintshop and other programs.. Grab a point anywhere along a line and drag it to where you want it... Also the sending or bringing items to the front, or vise versa, to the back has been mentioned before but still nothing incorporated into the Designer... Choosing the order of cutting has been mentioned as well and again a whole lotta silence from the CW people... So many of the options could be made variables like the feathering width/depth... but I guess maybe I'm expecting a bit to much from them...

Does anyone know if any of the other software for CNC machines will save in a format recognized by the CW machine??

Quote Originally Posted by DumbDawg View Post
    ...Does anyone know if any of the other software for CNC machines will save in a format recognized by the CW machine??
    Hello,

We can always think of ideas and improvements for the software we use. Some ideas can be easily implemented, others cannot. I also have a "list" of features I would love to have in Designer, but we just have to be patient and see what the programmers are able to do.

As far as your last question regarding other software for CNC machines that save in a format recognized by the CW machine. Lots and lots of software can create files that can be useful for the CW. As you know, there are no other programs that can directly save to CW formats (PTN, MPW, MPC), since those formats are exclusive to CW.

However, the Designer software can already import greyscale graphics from any photo editing program (and converted to a PTN). You can also use drawing programs such as AutoCAD, CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, InkScape, etc. software to create DXF vectors and import them into Designer with the CW DXF Importer add-on. You can create STL files with any modeling software such as ArtCAM, Aspire, 3D CAD, Moi, 3D Max, etc. and import into Designer with the STL Importer add-on and convert to the CW PTN format. So, we have tremendous flexibility. Does that help answer the question?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I also have a "list" of features I would love to have in Designer,
    lets have a look.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 08-30-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    lets have a look.
    Sorry...for LHR eyes only! (I think you've already seen some via the Beta Forum)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Something I'd like to add to the CW "wishlist". First I'll explain the problem which I'm sure many many users have already encountered. It's the problem of the bit continuing to spin when moving to the bit plate next to brass roller and eventually drilling a hole through it. We all know that one (or the main) cause has been said that it's due to the brushes needing replacement. We also have discussed the "workaround" to press the stop button until it quits spinning and then hit enter to continue on with the measuring function. Well all that is fine, but the problem is (or can be) that a person initially doesn't (or shouldn't) need to hit the stop button IF the brushes are new and motor is operating correctly (which I still disagree with because mine had new brushes and it still kept spinning). Anyway, I believe what would help BIG TIME is if there was a way to place in the SW code to have the machine (after a given amount of hours) stop or "pause" after the bit is inserted and is beginning the measuring. Meaning the operator would need to press enter to continue the measuring. For instance we've been advised to change the brushes after 200-250 hours. Well, then have the machine kick in with the "pause" function due to the spinning bit.... starting at 185hrs. Also after brushes are replaced by user (or LHR) we could reset this function on the keypad. This would help two-fold... it would let the user know that brushes are coming to an end soon and needing replacement (hence, place an order now) and it would prevent the bit from continuing to spin and (if not manually paused), would drill a hole in the brass roller bit plate (hence costing more money and downtime for the user). I've just turned in my machine for extended warranty repair for this reason and that's fine as my warranty covers that, but I've been trying to figure out a way to have prevented this and left me with "down time". They are going to replace my brushes also so "initially" I shouldn't have to "pause" my spinning bit, but as time goes on with carvings and hours I'll have to keep an eye on this and remember that I'll have to change back to monitoring the spinning bit and begin the "pause" function again. If this was all built in to the designer software I think it would save downtime, money and frustration by many. We all know that this happens and if it hasn't happened, it will happen. My other curious issue is "why is that particular metal part (that is always damaged by the drill bit) made that way and not just one solid flat piece that the bit comes down to and touches. I even tried using JB Weld, Metal bonding epoxy and none of that worked because the drill bit had made a hole completely thru the "center metal stem" even though it was not competely severed. Even though the bonding stuff hardened and dried well, it still wasn't strong enough to take the "pushing down" of the bit for initial measuring. I don't believe there's anything else wrong and therefore is how I've come to this assessment of this particular case. Anyway, hope I'll get my machine back next week and nothing has to be ordered by this repair center. Wish me luck!
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Both of my machines have always exhibited this behavior with new or worn brushes. I do the "stop & continue" thing now as well, but what seems to make more sense to me is since the CW has the ability to sense revolutions of the cut motor, it should just simply check to see if the chuck has stopped spinning before it proceeds down by the plate on the brass roller side. Probably no more than 4 lines of code to accomplish that.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 09-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Had the same problem for a long time. Started when I downloaded a certain upgrade. Have changed the brushes twice since the problem and the problem never went away. Just do as everyone, push stop, then enter. I wish the truck would just not move after the bit spins and move when the bit stops spinning, that problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    and import into Designer with the STL Importer add-on and convert to the CW PTN format. So, we have tremendous flexibility. Does that help answer the question?
    I understand about the flexibility of using other software then importing/exporting etc for image manipulation... This is only part of the frustration I've experienced with the CW system from day one... The first was operator, and machine... Once I installed a dust collection system then a lot of problems vanished...

The ongoing frustration I have with the CW is with the 'Design' software and the archaic hardware used to load into the machine itself... It appears to me that they just got the machine mostly working and theres little effort to actually improve on it now... cosmetics over functionality... I see many 'wishes' from when this thread was first started that could have easily been incorporated but haven't... I used to write small programs and have a good idea of how to write and insert various modules for incorporation... When you look at the schedule of upgrades I have to ask myself "what are these guys doing?????" Most 'upgrades' are not really upgrades, IMHO... minor changes perhaps... Seems silly to me I have to buy and use several other software in order to finally get what I'm looking for when CW should be taking some of these great suggestions here and incorporating them....

Don't get me wrong I do like the CW machine I'm just not happy with the services and support from the company... seems they are quite happy to take your money and not a lot of interest in updating their products... It makes it even harder for us canuks because they won't ship to us direct... Plus no supplier here makes it even tougher yet...

btw... thax for your reply... appreciated... still curious why no CW staff monitor and comment regular here on their forums???

brian

Page 46 of 65 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast