Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: CarveWright Designer wishlist

Here is a link to my Y-Axis stall testing.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...005#post147005
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default Gradient or Taper

Please, Please, include Gradients/Tapers within the Icon for "Select Surface". Just having domes is not enough!
    AskBud
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...211#post147211
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

There is one tool which is sorely missing from the included drawing tools and that is a polygon making tool. The tool would be useful if I was allowed to specify how many sides I wanted to my polygon. Now, you have to create one with connected lines but it would be so much easier if we had a dedicated tool for the task.

Additionally, I would sometimes find it useful to have the ability to ROTATE objects created with the drawing tools but those buttons are not active when selecting an object created with the drawing tools.
    Last edited by jgowrie; 01-31-2011 at 06:57 AM.
    John

Default Rotate a Connected Line Figure

Quote Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
    There is one tool which is sorely missing from the included drawing tools and that is a polygon making tool. The tool would be useful if I was allowed to specify how many sides I wanted to my polygon. Now, you have to create one with connected lines but it would be so much easier if we had a dedicated tool for the task.

Additionally, I would sometimes find it useful to have the ability to ROTATE objects created with the drawing tools but those buttons are not active when selecting an object created with the drawing tools.
    jgowrie
    My download link, below, has a lesson titled "Rotate a Connected Line Figure".
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

With regards to the ROTATION tool, it would be helpful in certain instances to have the ability to fine-tune the rotation amount to 1/10th of a degree.

( note : I haven't updated from 1.164 yet. I just realized that maybe these things could have been addressed. If they haven't then I'll leave these items here after I update )
    John

I would like to have the ability to enter into Designer a board surface with an irregular shape.

Many have tried to figure out how to carve someone's name into a baseball bat, or a pattern on a gun stock, etc.

If we could scan that gun stock, upload the scan into Designer, then make that profile a part of the board's surface, not a pattern carved into a board with a flat surface, our job would be a lot easier when adding patterns to a piece.

Command could be "Make Board Surface" vs. "Make Pattern".

I'm not a computer guy, but the code to make this happen can't be all that.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Default Dowel Holes in STL imported patterns

I've been making some models with 5 or 6 slices. The STL came from Autodesk Inventor. Would be nice if STL importer would allow a reference point on each slice pattern, so that I could then place a hole on the reference point in Designer. I could then use dowels or pins to align the slices for gluing. Putting a hole in the original STL would presumably give a tapered hole because the carving bit would be used.
    Edit: I tried putting a hole in the STL and it does make a tapered hole in the pattern. Can be used as an alignment for drilling a straight hole on the drill press, but this seems like an awkward workaround. There would seem to be lots of uses for vector geometry or holes aligned to the pattern coming from the STL file.
    Last edited by MikeON; 02-14-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added info

An option in the software would be nice... When at the machine U can select sections to carve or repeat the last step.. Like the other day The machine was carving for an Hr and a half.. Then came the bit change for the centerline text.. At this point the machine kept asking me " To re-find or proceed " After several attempts at the refind, I finally gave up and hit proceed.. We all know that in the begining the machine runs through all the bits... So then the bit moves into position and starts to carve the centerline.. However I noticed that the bit was carving just above the wood,, stopped the macine and had a few choice words for it.. So I took the bit out and lowered it in the adapter, put it back in and resumed.. It worked fine from there and carved very nice,,, however I was missing 2 letters one above the other.. After sumthin like this it would be nice to have an option to start from the beging on the last thing it was doing, in this case the centerline, or resume.. In short the carving can be broke down into sections like a b c d e.. And u have an option to say just do part c again...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Three things that came up during the Carvewright Conference were:
    The 'draft' options are none, small, medium, large; could you add an option to select a percentage, something more precise?
    Similarly, the 'feather' options are none, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 inch; could you add an option to select a value between 0 and 1/2"?
    The Pattern Editor could use copy/paste.
    You probably have these already in your list of stuff.

One item I would really like is a way to design a pattern "upside down."
    Motivation: I'm working on a project that will carve out a 2.5-dimensional representation of a library bookshelf (something I'd seen outside a library nearby). The "bottom" will be the shelf, the "top" will be the outline of the tops of the books, kind of like a "skyline" outline. However, when I design this "right-side up," the skyline at the top gets placed on near side of the machine. When the skyline is cut out, it's too near the brass roller / board X-dimension sensor. If I could simply turn it all upside down after designing it, I think it would work much better. Designer allows individual elements to be flipped vertically, but not groups or the whole pattern. (Well, you can flip a group, but it simply flips each element individually).
    Thanks.

Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast