View Poll Results: Should forum members continue to try to create a pattern sharing cd/dvd

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would like to see it

88 83.02%
  • No - not worth time or effort

8 7.55%
  • I dont really care

10 9.43%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattern CD Poll

I am no programmer but I wonder if this could be easily resoved by LHR doing some programming on their end and instute the same portal they use when you upoload patterns for sale to their site as a vendor. Then create a place on the forum or their website for free downloads of patterns with Author's name and permissions and thumb nails of the patterns. Zbrush has this on their site where you can download alphas, textures and materials for free created by their users...very organized w pictures etc. That way a person could pic and choose what they want quickly and easily
    Last edited by jpaluck; 01-06-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpaluck View Post
    I am no programmer but I wonder if this could be easily resoved by LHR doing some programming on their end and instute the same portal they use when you upoload patterns for sale to their site as a vendor. Then create a place on the forum or their website for free downloads of patterns with Author's name and permissions and thumb nails of the patterns. Zbrush has this on their site where you can download alphas, textures and materials for free created by their users...very organized w pictures etc. That way a person could pic and choose what they want quickly and easily
    Not to sling mud, but considering we have only been asking for all LHR parts to be listed in the Carvewright store since 2008, I woudnt hold my breath.
    Doug Fletcher

Doug...probably right..LOL but I know from your other posts I beleive you are quite knowledgble on programming....it would be fairly easy on their part right? and not super time consuming?...I might be wrong but that would be my guess based on the way as a pattern vendor you upload things to CW to sell. wouldn't prevent a guy like on e-bay..actually would make it easier for him to download and cherry pick the good ones with ease...but would make it easy for all who use the forum and it would actually be a nice selling feature for LHR to promote to help sell machines..their are some really nice patterns there and some that are so so but it would sure make it easy to look at and search for. I actually see it as an oppurtunity for LHR...no other site I have been on cnc wise shares as much as this forum..why not capitalize on it. All the things loaded to the zbrush site are free and made by members..they even have quality control as far as weather the texture whatever is good enough an meets the paremeter here is the link for an example http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/ and all free. would be a nice selling feature for LHR and a nice user's feature
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

You can already do that; just download the paper clip with PDF it beings up every image-PTN and MPC and if a great person wants to give the ultimate “MPW” it is there also. No problem with dial up, patterns and MPC will take time. I posted a PDF to do that a while back. If you have the pattern editor program you can see if some one is stealing your pattern programs on this forum. Your stuff is coded in the patterns you make.

There are 167 pages to the PDF and 3547 attachments; some are JPEGs (images), PTN's and MPC's and this is only part of them.

All the "Paper Clips" have patterns attached. It would take more than one CD to make the patterns with a screen print.

The PDF loads all the patterns to your Hard drive.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pattern Sharing depot - Attachments.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I played around last night for a couple of hours and the code fell out fairly easily. The hardest part was it looks like everytime the forum was updated/upgraded the html code changed behind the scenes so I really had to build more of a parser than just a simple extractor. Anyways, one of the by products of this was an excel spreadsheet for me to visualize what I was extracting. I realized this spreadsheet may have some value to the forum members as well so I have posted it here. The "link" colums are active hyperlinks to the associated posts or attachments and I have applied fliters to all of the columns. You can also use this to sort, look at a particualr members posting, andy many other options. I have to look in to why the number of posts doest totally match, but i do know there are a few invlaid links in the forum. Some of them I have filtered but I may not have got them all. I'll look in to the descrepency more in the next few days. I should be able to compile a cd/dvd over the weekend and I'll post a link to the ISO. I'm probably going to organize the CD by Poster or possible by filetype.

I had to zip the excel file in order to upload to the forum

I forgot to mention that the dates should all be correct EXCEPT where the forum list them as "x Weeks old" I dont really have a way to calculate the exact date from that so I just used the date when I do the extraction minus number of weeks *7 days to give me a date. All the other dates I can calculate to within a day.

I also have code to extract the text of the post, but commented it out for the time being becuase I'm not really sure how useful it would be.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 01-07-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

I added a new column so you can also filter by attachment type.
    Doug Fletcher

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Funny this started out as a crusade to stop a guy making a buck using freely given patterns. I wonder are we upset because we did not intend for the free patterns to be marketed? Or that we didn't think of it first! Maybe this guy has the same intent to help others that have slow internet or computer crashed etc.?
    I'm for the compilation of a CD of free, quality patterns.

Lets face it. The economy has tanked. People are trying to survive the best way they can. I'm wondering if this ebay guy isn't trying to make a buck any way he can just to survive. If he has a family; I could understand it. It might not be what I would do to survive but I see allot of this sort of thing happening, not just with the CW stuff. People are hurting and will do whatever it takes. It might not be the best approach but his pattern CD does provide patterns to new CW users who might not have, for whatever reason, joined the forum.

Just my two cents, that maybe isn't worth even that......
    Bill....

I plan on making my first run this evening. For the initial iso image, Im just going to use simply organization based on filetype then author. Do any of you have a better suggestion for organization?
    Doug Fletcher

If anyone is interested. The attached is a list of files that are on the eBay CD
    Custom Built Quilt Hangers and Quilt Racks.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizpro View Post
    If anyone is interested. The attached is a list of files that are on the eBay CD

Looks like a nice long list.. Noticed several sports and company logos in the list....hmmmmmm
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast