View Poll Results: Should forum members continue to try to create a pattern sharing cd/dvd

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would like to see it

88 83.02%
  • No - not worth time or effort

8 7.55%
  • I dont really care

10 9.43%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattern CD Poll

Quote Originally Posted by dougmsbbs View Post
    The more I think about it, the more impractical I think a CD is. It would soon be outdated, and you would still need to take the time to search the forum to find new ones. I would think making a ZIP file online available would be easier to keep up on. All someone would have to do is every week or two add any new patterns to the file. Or ZIP them up by date, say by month, and post that online somewhere. So to keep your collection up to date all you would have to do is download the newest file. I know this does not take care of people on slow dial-up connections, but at least they could download smaller files at one time.
    I also think it would be nice to have a thumbnail image of each pattern to go along with them. Much easier to browse a directory looking at images than to load each and every one up in designer...
    Just my thoughts....
    In my mind, this can all be handled programatically. I havent started the coding yet, but I do not see any show stoppers yet. I can also have it kick out an "update zip" for what ever patterns have been added since the last time I generate. I see the popularity of this idea has been steadily dropping, but I still think it has enought merit to go forward. This probably wont be a high priority for me, but I will probably start coding over the next few weeks. I dont think it should be a big deal.. the hardest part will be seeing what info I can get from the forum postings in an effort to have it autocatigorize and index based on criteria such as add date, author, format, etc.

Does anyone know if there is an API (application program interface) for designer, if so, I can also have it automatically generate screenshots for each pattern. There are other ways to acomplish this, but the API is the most straight forward and easiest to code.
    Doug Fletcher

I vote no because it would be impractical and soon be obsolete because new free patterns and projects keep showing up. What we need to do is keep the pattern sharing thread for sharing patterns and projects and limit comments. A better idea, I have posted this previously, would be to add a pattern and project area so each shared pattern or project would be a new thread. That would make searches easier and allow comments on each item to be related to that item.
    Clint

I too voted no, I make a comment more of a joke, better yet we can make a CD and give it away for free! But thinking it over and reading other member's post I agree with ever changing patterns everyday it would become a daily job to keep up! Plus from my understanding of GNU it seems to be more of a honor bound agreement without and real legal binding. So I agree with Pratyeka it will not stop guys like the e-bay guy from making and selling a CD.

I can only seeing this hurting us in the long run as we continue to try to involve LHR. If we continue to push it and make it a legal issue I see losing the ability of sharing patterns and possibly the forum. This is my opinion, so I suggest as mentioned to continue sharing patterns in the pattern sharing thread without conversation......(LOL!) Anyway I am sorry some have dial up, but they still can download a pattern!

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth! PS, Doug I think the ideal was great and the intent is genuine, but the application impractical.

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 01-06-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Agree with pratyeka...not gonna stop the e-bay guy...I e-mailed e-bay from my sellers account they said they would look into it...I agree the disk would become dated fast...website and downloads all organized would be the way to go, like doug said with thumbnails...even that would be a large undertaking...sites are fairly cheap...I pay like 100 bucks a year I think for hosting or a little cheaper...it's the maintence that would be a nightmare..or a lot of work for no pay. Honestly, the reason I don't add the patterns I share here on my site also is the laziness factor of uploading the files the pictures and adding them to the page.

My vote was doesn't care.

As far as dial-up-service..or what Ike called it..LOL Hillbilly connection ( love it Ike)...I would be curious how many people are still using that.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Come on John it is the Hillbilly hook up!

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by jpaluck View Post
    As far as dial-up-service..or what Ike called it..LOL Hillbilly connection ( love it Ike)...I would be curious how many people are still using that.
    According to this link (even though it is a little dated), I think the precentage is still pretty high (25% or more). There are also several links that stated the dialup was on the rise again when the economy went south. That kinda makes sense as most people want to be connected but the fastest possible speeds are not always the driving factor. I have several tech friends in large uban areas that still use dial up becuase they refuse to pay ore than there $7 monthly dialup charge. For myself, there is no such thing as too much speed. 100 Mbps broadband just hit my area.... and I though 30 Mbps was pretty snappy.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/am/us.htm

I probably should of added also that even thou 100mbs broadband is available where i live, I can drive 15 miles from my house to more rural areas, and there is no broadband available there.. no dsl, no cable, just good ol POTS. There are some advantages to living in a college town.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 01-05-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    According to this link (even though it is a little dated), I think the precentage is still pretty high (25% or more). There are also several links that stated the dialup was on the rise again when the economy went south. That kinda makes sense as most people want to be connected but the fastest possible speeds are not always the driving factor. I have several tech friends in large uban areas that still use dial up becuase they refuse to pay ore than there $7 monthly dialup charge. For myself, there is no such thing as too much speed. 100 Mbps broadband just hit my area.... and I though 30 Mbps was pretty snappy.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/am/us.htm

I probably should of added also that even thou 100mbs broadband is available where i live, I can drive 15 miles from my house to more rural areas, and there is no broadband available there.. no dsl, no cable, just good ol POTS. There are some advantages to living in a college town.
    Doug I know my parents live in an upper class area on 5 acres parcels and in the back of the property there is a neighborhood with DSL! My Dad does have satellite internet so that is an option for some? Now for those who don't want to pay the price for faster internet that is their choice!

So where do we go from here? Like I said I voted no, but it does not mean I won't help if I can.

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Doug I know my parents live in an upper class area on 5 acres parcels and in the back of the property there is a neighborhood with DSL! My Dad does have satellite internet so that is an option for some? Now for those who don't want to pay the price for faster internet that is their choice!

So where do we go from here? Like I said I voted no, but it does not mean I won't help if I can.

Ike
    When I get some time, I'll start on the coding for an automated process. I would think it should only take a few hours for the programming and if there are no major snags I'll share my results for suugestions/refinements for anyone who is interested.
    Doug Fletcher

Funny this started out as a crusade to stop a guy making a buck using freely given patterns. I wonder are we upset because we did not intend for the free patterns to be marketed? Or that we didn't think of it first! Maybe this guy has the same intent to help others that have slow internet or computer crashed etc.?

When I make a pattern for a member often they need it because they are making a gift. The other time it is for a customer and the member makes money from the free pattern. I think I can safely say we agree that is alright? But when we openly give a pattern to the requesting member we all know it is not just for that member! So I agree it is morally wrong to resale the collections of free patterns, but it is not illegal unless it contains commercial patterns.

You know there is nothing stopping this guy from copyrighting our patterns and then we couldn't use them. Reminds me of the days of squatters unclaimed land a person could claim it as their own! I have given things away before and the person turned around and sold the gift. I was disappointed, but it was theirs to what they wanted.

So instead of making this a big legal issue, I say go ahead make the CD by request and charge a fair amount I believe this should also include the person's time and keep it in the forum family. I suggest starting a CD thread and the members add the patterns with the statement this pattern is for personal use and for the forum CD only and may not be reproduced or sold by any other source and/ or person. That way with a CD thread by posting a pattern it is giving the maker's permission to use.

Anyway now that is 2cents more from me!

Ike

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    You know there is nothing stopping this guy from copyrighting our patterns and then we couldn't use them. Ike
    That is one major point! But unlikely to happen because of the lazy nature of those who steal the work of others for selling...

The only way one can protect himself is to document his work by saving all pattern files in a safe place with date of creation. this way you have a legal proof that you are the creator.

Most of us who have given away patterns never thought of selling them, either because we don't think they are worth much or we just don't have time to go through the process. What is upsetting is someone else profiting from our labor without permission. But that is the nature of digital property, they can be infinitely duplicated. If someone could come up with a digital file that cannot be duplicated without the permission of the owner, then that would be another thing.

If only LHR would allow us to register our pattern with them so we could use their licensing system, but we do the selling ourselves (personal website). Maybe LHR could charge user fees, based on the number of patterns we register.
    Last edited by Pratyeka; 01-06-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast