View Poll Results: Should forum members continue to try to create a pattern sharing cd/dvd

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would like to see it

88 83.02%
  • No - not worth time or effort

8 7.55%
  • I dont really care

10 9.43%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Pattern CD Poll

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Some of Michael's projects were packaged by us and put out there through Amazon, Lowes, maybe Woodcraft. Michael gets paid for them. So long as they've never been registered and he is selling what he says he is selling, it is not illegal. This is just like you buying a painting for x amount and then reselling it for x times 100 or 1000. If someone is willing to pay that, then you made money.
    That would be understandable and long as the product was original and not already registered. I just wasn't sure if the seller was selling a copied project. I believe that ptn files (I think) prior to 1.23 or so could be edited by anyone.

Hard to say without knowing all that facts. <smile>

I’ve been pretty much sitting back for a while now, posting once and a while and watching the CW Forum lately,
    doing my best not to offend anyone by throwing my 2cents on either side of the fence.
    As A few folks know, over the last few months, I’ve rcecieved a couple more negative Emails about me giving away (Sharing) my Patterns, Ptn, and Mpc files.
    It seems I’ve been posting too many of my carving ideas, or project layouts, --- and congratulating other Forum Members a little to often, for their good work and efforts with their CW and CC Machines. I know that I sometimes straying off the subject matter posted occasionally, --- and have been reminded about that a few times also.
    I do enjoy helping “a little when I can” and sharing my patterns the other carvers on the forum --- to me that means, you have my permission to carve them, sell the carvings, give the carvings away as gifts, collect them, or just add the files to your Mpc or Ptn Library, --- not to sell the files by themselves, as a group, or as if they were your own ---They’re Not
    I would like to add, -- that I really have no problem with any of the Folks and Sites that sell “Their Own Pattern Files” on or off the Forum, -- their Mpcs and Ptns are all great and I realize they put a lot of work into them for a reasonable price, I also think they all deserve our appreciation and a round of Thanks for their efforts and Artistry ….. Key Words “Their Own Pattern Files” … Doug, Jonny, Great work and keep at it --- nuff said.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken,

I, for one, love you creativity. You always inspire lots of new ideas and show how a few simple shapes can oftens times becomes incredibly intricate and complex objects. I also think as we move from the ranks of junior, to member to senior member, chearleading becomes an important part of the role. It is very easy to get discouraged with this machine at times... and those 'atta-boys" from you and other very well repected members go a long ways to restore the "fun" factor when a member takes the time to show whatever he has done. Everyone is at a different level, but to me someones first carve of there name in a peice of scrap wood is just as impressive and praise worthy as the fabulous patterns and projects the expert on here have put out. I cant tell you how many of you projects I have downoaded just to try and reverse engineer how you did them!
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 01-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    This is the whole reason why we made the PatternDepot with the licensing feature. It is to protect pattern vendors original work from being freely distributed. It offers them (and us) payment for the use of their creations. If you have patterns that you want licensed and protected, we can sign you up as a Pattern Vendor, or like others have done, you can set up your own online store and sell them yourselves. If you post it in a pattern sharing site, then it's out there.

Whether it's a pattern, project or video on a free or sharing site like ours in the forum, you basically have made it free to the public. That pretty much means any one can do anything they want with it. It might not be morally right...like the guy selling Michael T's YoYo project for an outrageous amount of money, but I don't think it is illegal.

This is not a new discussion. One very similar started in early 2007 and again in 2009 (guess we're on a two year cycle with this topic). I imagine it will end the same way and hope we don't lose any forum members over it.

This forum is about helping each other, making new friends, patting each other on the back and building one another up while we learn & enjoy this machine. Doug did a great thing that I am sure many people will appreciate, just as Jonny is doing a great thing. Which ever format you chose to use, PatternSharing Thread, Doug's CD or Jack's website, it doesn't matter. If one of them decides to sell or profit from it, which I hope they don't, you have the right to not purchase it!
    I do not think this is a public forum, it is my understanding this forum is private and only members can use the information that a member posted. If you are not logged in then you can not use the patterns that a member posted. See image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forum 1.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Ken,

Thanks for jumping in!

Your "couple of negative emails" must be some grummpy people who do not recognize what you do for the forum and it's members. The majority of your posts (IMOP) are done to teach and inspire us on how to get better with the machine and software.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910