View Poll Results: Should forum members continue to try to create a pattern sharing cd/dvd

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would like to see it

88 83.02%
  • No - not worth time or effort

8 7.55%
  • I dont really care

10 9.43%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattern CD Poll

Default Pattern CD Poll

I think we are starting to see that even if this endevour is worthwhile, it probably wont be a simple matter.

With that being said, let start a poll to help determin if we should just let the previous threads die, or if there is enought interest to continue to try and work thru any/all issues.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 01-03-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

yes to pattern CD

I voted yes but not sure what you are talking about.
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

I'm not going to actively participate in this thread, but would like to share some insight that may not have been thought of before...

A pattern sharingcd/dvd would be a great idea, but there are numerous things that you must consider.

1. Who would be in charge of obtaining all patterns, storing said patterns, and creating the discs?

2. With the amount of new patterns being added, you would have to have a way of distinguishing which patterns were newly added and which ones were old, and then create new discs with said patterns.

3. The costs of creating said discs could get expensive.

All in all, I personally like the idea. Unfortunately though, there are numerous obstacles that you would have to tackle to achieve something like this, and unless you are truly motivated, you will more than likely encounter numerous issues.

Again, not trying to shoot down the idea, just wanted to make sure you guys are aware of the obstacles you would have to deal with, and those obstacles are just the tip of the iceberg.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Though I voted yes, I do feel that Alex is right. It would be a very difficult endeavor. My original reason for posting about the Ebay Sales was to ask people to remember the "honor" code. I personally share patterns for people to use free of charge for a reason. Most times i am trying a new technique and I want to get feedback. Sometimes it's in direct response to a members problems. I don't care who uses them or for what purpose ACCEPT for turning around and selling them back to the very person or people I intended to help in the first place.

My Company Site My Company Blog My Church Blog My Church Website My Patterns

I replied don't care... I am not interested in having 6 thousand patterns in memory. I am interested in being able to look for a new pattern that I need QUICK and give the customer a chance to pick.

I needed a Lion pattern the other day. Went to the Pattern Depot and found 26 choices and sent it to the customer. I got a reply for the Lion 2 and purchased it. Had the download in a few minutes. The the part where I activate the license ran into the usual error cycle. An hour later still no License... Gave up and will try it again today....

I am doing something wrong with the user id or password... Do it 40 times the same way and finally it takes.... Makes me wonder if it is something between servers at LHR.

Made a dozen attempts today still no luck... Will resort to calling LHR...

AL

Update: Called LHR and had it done in 30 seconds... Thanks LHR... Old Dog... Need to be smarter than the computer...
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 01-04-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

My concern/thoughts on this is that it will take a lot of time to put this together if one is going to sort out all of the bad patterns that are really not good for carving. There are a lot of patterns in the share section with a lot of good ones to be had. If the bad are not sorted out the I think the CD would not be a good thing. When I first got started with the forum I would down load and save the pattern or mpc with out looking at it first. Found that I had a boat load of stuff that was not the best and spent a lot of time going back to get rid of them. Now when one is posted I open it first to see and if good then save.. if not it goes away...

I do understand why this idea was started do to the guy on ebay!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I would venture to guess that most of the "yes" responses are from people like me who are not tech saavy enough to make most of these patterns ourselves. This (a CD) would make it easier to look up patterns for use in our projects on our computers. although, I do see relevence in the concerns posted by others. With that said, anytime I need a pattern, I have been able to go to the members here and either find what I am looking for or they have been able to make me a pattern very quickly. I always like the word free, but at the same time I would not hesitate to pay for the work others put into making patterns (especially quality ones). If there is a huge interest in the free patterns, wouldn't it be easier to organize the ones on the forum in an easier search method (grouped by type or subject matter). Liek I said, I am not a tech guy so I don't know how hard this would be to do.

John

9. Default

Being a veteran "Second Life" resident, this subject is similar to the creation of textures and virtual objects and their distribution. A lot of those are tagged as "freebies" and anyone can copy them. There is also a lot of shady people packaging those freebies and selling them to "newbies", who don't know any better.
    What I'm driving at is there is just no sure way of preventing the selling of freely available stuff by people looking to make a quick buck. So it's really up to the buyer to do his/her homework and research the best place to get patterns.
    What we on this forum can do is "educate" as many newbies as possible about what free patterns are and where to get them.

To come back to the Second Life experience, many groups have attempted to organise freebie distribution, but the sheer number of freebies available and the time required to collect and keep track of them quickly overwhelmed them. The few who still distribute freebies only package "donated" freebies and released them once a week with a time stamp. They have a donation box, equivalent to Salvation Army collection box, where people can drop their freebies.

The equivalent process for our patterns could be a web address where we could upload our patterns, then once a week all received patterns would be archived into a zip file and moved to a download page. this way the number of patterns would stay manageable and the bulk of the work is done by the users. Anyone can download the zip files, open them and sort the pattern themselves.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

The more I think about it, the more impractical I think a CD is. It would soon be outdated, and you would still need to take the time to search the forum to find new ones. I would think making a ZIP file online available would be easier to keep up on. All someone would have to do is every week or two add any new patterns to the file. Or ZIP them up by date, say by month, and post that online somewhere. So to keep your collection up to date all you would have to do is download the newest file. I know this does not take care of people on slow dial-up connections, but at least they could download smaller files at one time.
    I also think it would be nice to have a thumbnail image of each pattern to go along with them. Much easier to browse a directory looking at images than to load each and every one up in designer...
    Just my thoughts....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast