Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern CD

Default Pattern CD

All,

It sounds like collectivly we have come up with a viable solution that should put any of the ebay sellers out of business. However, I think there are still a bunch of issues that need to be worked out before going forward.

Off the top of my head...

1. Who owns the forum material. LHR or the original poster. It is not defined in the forum guidelines and I've seen forums go both ways on that.
    2. Do we assume that anything currently in the sharing gallery already has approval to be include on a forum sponsered cd or do we need to try to get written permission for all the posters who have sumbitted something.
    3. I would love to see LHR incoude this with all new purchases, but so far they have not commented at all on the thread.
    4. I have no problem burning an sending these out at cost, but I dont want to say I will do it for free becuase if we get 400 responses than suddenly I have to pony up several hundred dollars in materials and postage.
    5. I am also willing to post an ISO image of the CD on my website so that anyone with broadband can download the entire collection directly.
    6. We would need to include a text file containing terms and conditions for usage and distribution. GNU style lisences I'm sure wont be acceptable to most of you so we'll need to fashion our own.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Doug Fletcher

By the numbers:

1 and 2: If the poster is determined to own the pattern, consider this notice that anything I have posted over the years may be included in the collection.

3: Not sure it's their place to do that, but no problems from me if they did.

4: You have to charge cost. Come on, not to is to invite abuse.

5: Let me know where to go to get it. Love to have it all here in one place!

6: Yes. We would have to include a text file explaining use. Since this started by a collection being sold on Ebay, I would assume we would state it could not be sold for profit in any way, but may be reproduced and given out for free or a small charge for expenses. But then, of course, some would argue just what is included in expenses...

Doug, I think it's a great idea. I hope every one will agree with you on this and we can put these guys out of business on ebay. I want to say thanks for offering to do this for all of us here.

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I guess I've missed out on the ebay discussion so I'm not sure exactly what is going on there. One guy appears to be selling patterns that he has "collected" over the years (that's probably a problem depending where he "collected" them from.) The other guy appears to be selling patterns that he has developed and/or licensed for the designer (that one shouldn't be a problem and more power to him.)

As for the numbers:

1., 2. Yeah if the stuff that I've posted is mine use it if you wish. I intended it to be used free of charge by the forum members and don't wish to have a for profit sale of them.
    3. I'm a little hesitant to have LHR send this out. I kind a think they profit enough from our purchases and efforts, not sure if we need to help them any more but I'm really on the fence about that.
    5. I would also be willing to provide some web space for an ISO image.
    6. Some of the projects would probably need some directions to go with the patterns.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Being gone for a weekend upon returning, there is a lot to read.

Doug and others, the CD is a great idea. Some cost will be involved, shipping and packaging is not free.
    I also give my permission to have any of my shared patterns, or MPCs on the CD, and like others for use by anyone for their own carving, carvings for sale, but the pattern/MPC files can not be sold for profit even if the profit is just labor.

I also offer space on my web site for downloading the ISO. The more places this file is located the easier it will be to find.

The way I see it, the person on Ebay will continue doing what he/she is doing, and he/she will continue to have sales, some will never find the free ISO or CD (at cost), but will find it on eBay. Most of the GNU license will handle the guidelines.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

6. Default

Doug,
    I have to CarverPic. Anything I have posted in open forum is to be considered in the Public Domain and was shared without license or royalty request. I just happy if someone can use what I post. Feel free to include my stuff. I wouldn't mind grabbing a copy of the ISO. In Feb 2011 I'll actually have a 'puter that is capable of doing something with it......anyone want to join me in target practice? I have this computer that needs to be shot at least a few thousand times <grin>.

Bill....
    Last edited by William Blankenship; 01-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.

7. Default

Jaroot,
    You are probably right about directions to go with some of the patterns, at least some of the settings would help. That is a great idea.

Bill....

Doug and I discussed a way to have a thread for each pattern maker to import their patterns without conversation. Then maybe a computer whiz like Bud can set up a link so members can download one or all the patterns. Then come up with a way to help those with slow internet. But with Starbucks and public libraries high speed internet is available!

I bet some are thinking we do have a thread like that called," Pattern Sharing"!
    Then I thought about maybe going through the vendor store, but that is not fair to the pattern makers who do sell patterns and have more expensive software to make patterns.

So on the flip side making a free CD may or will affect our members who sell their patterns just as much as the guy who took the free patterns and made them into a disc.

So maybe just boycotting this e-bay seller is all we can do? Sorry this just occurred to me. I make patterns for free because I don't think the patterns I make are worth selling! Plus I enjoy helping others as many do, including the members who sell their patterns!

If I had the money invested as others have in software or make better patterns I may consider selling them. But even selling the patterns say for a dollar most likely would not stop the pirates from making "their" collection into a CD! Just hurt our pattern vendors.

Maybe we should consider just keeping as it is?

Wow I am confused now!

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Doug and I discussed a way to have a thread for each pattern maker to import their patterns without conversation. Then maybe a computer whiz like Bud can set up a link so members can download one or all the patterns. Then come up with a way to help those with slow internet. But with Starbucks and public libraries high speed internet is available!

I bet some are thinking we do have a thread like that called," Pattern Sharing"!
    Then I thought about maybe going through the vendor store, but that is not fair to the pattern makers who do sell patterns and have more expensive software to make patterns.

So on the flip side making a free CD may or will affect our members who sell their patterns just as much as the guy who took the free patterns and made them into a disc.

So maybe just boycotting this e-bay seller is all we can do? Sorry this just occurred to me. I make patterns for free because I don't think the patterns I make are worth selling! Plus I enjoy helping others as many do, including the members who sell their patterns!

If I had the money invested as others have in software or make better patterns I may consider selling them. But even selling the patterns say for a dollar most likely would not stop the pirates from making "their" collection into a CD! Just hurt our pattern vendors.

Maybe we should consider just keeping as it is?

Wow I am confused now!

Ike

I also considered that.... but to be honest there have been several times where I found and downloaded a pattern, from the gallery, but then discovered it wasnt exactly what I was looking for or the quality wasnt quite there either. So then off to the vendor sites to find the perfect pattern. In my mind, I think it coud increase sales for our pattern makers. We enable easy access to all machine owners and once they start to see the capabilities of thier machines, the more they will push thier limits and inevietably get to the point where they need the comercial patterns.

What do those of you who sell patterns think? Will helping to provide access to all the free patterns help or hurt you?
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 01-03-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Default Pattern CD - Conversation

If nothing else, this eBay seller has piqued a lot of conversation on our forum!

He/she may always have a limited number of takers. Any one of us could gather similar items, on our own, if we have/had the time and connect-ability. Those whom lack one or the other, may find the offer a comfortable alternative.

My lesson on "Searching" is meant to assist everyone in finding things more readily. It will work on any thread with attachments. However, it must be started on each thread as a separate process. I have suggested that LHR provide me/us with a universal "Attachment access", where all attachments would come up with one query. It would be a huge data base, but would save time and effort in the long run. Also, remember that the data base is dynamic. My draw now, may/will not be the same as a draw an hour later or before.

As you may know, attachment, naming conventions are up to the member and sometimes seem to have nothing to do with the item involved. We can all help in the future, by at least placing one or two key words that better identify/label the attachment.

LHR could assist by adding a column to the attachment listing, showing the Forum Member, and possibly another column pointing to the Original Post Address. Both would serve well should you/I need more information from the original poster. We know the first could be accomplished, as it is now available on each "Store" pattern listing.

Finally, any one of us, with the time and/or ability will probably assist those in need.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast