Thread: Is this what it suppose to look like?

Default Is this what it suppose to look like?

I got the demo software...And have been playing with it...Did a couple screen shots from the software and here are the pics...Not sure if I'm doing everything right for actual upload to the machine....should I download the manual to read to understand how to set the depths and such in the software for the real cutting...This just seems toooo easy to be real...I scanned in a pic of my daughter and cut the background out in a graphics program then grayscaled it...sharpened it then turned it into negative before bringing the file into the designer software...then started playing with the tools...love that undo feature...lol
    Anyways..this is what I came up with...Front pic and Isometric view.
    Is this somewhat close to what it should look like with in the software?
    Lin

I'd say pretty much, Lin. Although the best results are usually when you do the carving in something like lexan clear plastic, then put a diffused light behind it within a wooden frame. The levels of depth give the 3d shades from beneath a flat top surface.

Bob

Bob, Is it more of an etching when done in the Lexan? Or do you use thick plexi and actually carve it? Please explain diffused light. I don't know what that is.
    Lin

I'd try that white plastic like on the cw home page, with a light behind that.
    and maybe only 1/8" deep or less.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

It carves like your wood job, but looks better because of the light. www.carvewright.com and check "The Results". The shells photo is also there, but I've attached the example of a photo of a girl. The example uses white lexan plastic as indicated by Dan, but you can also use clear (easier to come by) and use something like a white sheet or other translucent material between the plastic and the light ... fluorescent light is best also as it won't have as much of a bright spot.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plastic_photo_carving_655.jpg  

I just made a post that explains good and bad images to import for use as patterns. If you're interested in making a Bas relief, it might explain why your Photograph is returning undesired results.

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=794

Hope that's helpful!