Thread: Newbie Project - Will this work?

1. Default Newbie Project - Will this work?

DBZ16x10pcsFinalV1.0.mpc

If someone could please look at this project and see if what I've done is valid?
    I'd really appreciate it.
    - Hal

You do not need so many passes to cut out the pockets. I do worry about the length of it all. Besides the problem of supporting the board, the machine will be running the board back and forth a lot. It will run through the whole board doing the 5 X 5 pocket cuts. Then it will run through the whole board jumping around with the drills. Then it has to run through the whole board again to do the cut outs. Any problem with x tracking the cut outs in the end would ruin it all.

If I was making all of those identical pieces, I would make a carrier board to hold a 9 X 9 piece and do one at a time. If high production is really what you need, at least make two rows on a board of half the length.

3. Default

DBZ Carving Fixture.mpc

This would seem to be a solution, build a fixture using the carvewright that is max width and smaller than 3 feet to minimize side to side movement and maximize roller contact? That make sense.

Can I simply cut my boards to 8x8" then and set them in the fixture or do they need to be held down with something?

Thanks!
    - Hal

Something like that is what I do. You can cut a hole to eliminate all the pocket milling. I think I would make it a 9 X 9 carrier and let the machine cut it out to 8 X 8. That is the only way the piece will be accurate. You do have to hold the piece in. Either press fit, tape, screws....
    Attached Files Attached Files

5. Default

Ok, very cool.
    Thanks for the example.
    In the sled/jig pdf from 2008 it looked like tap was an acceptable hold-down. I take it the machining force isn't all that great then.
    Thanks very much.
    This helps a lot!
    - Hal