Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Grips?

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Mark,

In case it was user error at the machine prompts, the following Tips & Tricks may help. Hopefully, they will shed light on what happened and how to avoid the problem in the future...

ISSUE 3 December 2007 – Handy Tips for Everyone!

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It!

I have gone back and re-read these two issues of Tips. I think I know where the problem came from.

bjbethke mentioned scanning the grips I have.
    These have checkering and a logo that I would want to delete. I need to figure out how to edit them out and create a smooth domed surface. I guess it's time to experiment more with the pattern editor or is this something that can be done with the probe software?

I am going to build a scanning sled and see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    I have gone back and re-read these two issues of Tips. I think I know where the problem came from.

bjbethke mentioned scanning the grips I have.
    These have checkering and a logo that I would want to delete. I need to figure out how to edit them out and create a smooth domed surface. I guess it's time to experiment more with the pattern editor or is this something that can be done with the probe software?

I am going to build a scanning sled and see what I can do.
    Hi Mark,

I'm not sure that you'll be able to do any editing on those patterns. Patterns are encrypted with copy-protection since version 1.123 of the software and locks out the ability for editing by anyone other than the original creator, and on the original computer they were created on. However, if the patterns are available in their original "raw" MPW scan format, there is no copy-protection encryption at all on MPW files and can be edited, no problem.

Having said all that, it might still be hard to acheive a uniformly domed surface if the original scan has the cross-hatch texture. But, it won't hurt to experiment with that as long as you can get your hands on the original MPW files, that is.

Sidenote: As a "safety net", I always save my scans as BOTH MPW as well as PTN file formats. That way, if I ever want to transfer a pattern to a new or different computer, I would use the MPW file and be able to edit it freely on another computer without concern for the copy-protection locking me out of my own patterns.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I spent a good bit of time reading the different tutorials and whatever other info I could find. In order to make an exact duplication looks like I need to scan the grips I have. Built a quick scanning sled and scanned the grips.

Next I made a carving sled to hold the pieces I will be carving for grips. Since the pieces I will be carving are small pieces I needed a way to hold them in place to carve. I used a 3/4" board and then cut some wood the same thickness as the pieces I am going to carve. Everything is held in place with double side tape.

Just to be extra careful I taped the edges of the pieces I am going to carve to prevent a piece from breaking loose.

Now it's time to start carving to see if this is going to work.

Carving was a big time failure.
    1st The carved grips came out to about 80% actual size.
    2nd Even prominent details did not carve. Example; round logo in center.
    3rd Strange carved area in lower right center area.

I scanned and carved at best setting. When scanning the grips were held secure and I was unable to rock or move them under pressure. The material being scanned has a hard surface. When I downloaded the scan I saved a copy as a pattern which I loaded on a board that was about 8" longer than indicated in Designer. My only action was to center on board. Then I uploaded to card for carving. When prompted by the machine I did not select anything that would indicate scale change.

I am at a total loss as to what I did wrong.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Burl Source; 12-23-2010 at 07:28 PM.

When I go to the pattern editor the scan looks good as far as detail goes. The logo and checkering are prominent and clear.
    When I go to designer and load as a pattern the dimensions read 7.15 instead of what should be about 9.5.
    The detail looks muddy here.

Apparently I am doing something wrong when downloading and saving the scan.
    Any ideas?

When I go to download the scan from the card it says the image size is 2.12 x 9.64
    When it is downloaded in PE it reads 1.414 x 7.156
    If I attempt to resize with the proportions ratio locked the new figures don't match up. Example entering 2.12 in the first field results in about 10.6 in the second field.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Burl Source; 12-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.

I just made these from a STL file if you want to give them a try. Let me know if they need tweaking.

Default Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    When I go to the pattern editor the scan looks good as far as detail goes. The logo and checkering are prominent and clear.
    When I go to designer and load as a pattern the dimensions read 7.15 instead of what should be about 9.5.
    The detail looks muddy here.

Apparently I am doing something wrong when downloading and saving the scan.
    Any ideas?

When I go to download the scan from the card it says the image size is 2.12 x 9.64
    When it is downloaded in PE it reads 1.414 x 7.156
    If I attempt to resize with the proportions ratio locked the new figures don't match up. Example entering 2.12 in the first field results in about 10.6 in the second field.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark,
    Try this:
    Take a good look at your pattern, on the design. Something touches each side of the rectangle. Note these points and measure your model and make new measurements (just to clarify your measurement process). Laying it on graph paper might be a good way to get the same perspective.

Draw a rectangle the width & length of your grip, using these new measurements (just to have a good target).
    Change one dimension to be correct, and turn off the feather (If it's there).
    Note: Before you do this last step, below, magnify your design window as much as possible so you can be more finite.
    Now, Drag the "yellow" dots on the other dimension, until it is correct.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Thank You PCW and Ask Bud.
    I am going to try what you both recommended and will post my results.
    Thanks again and Merry Christmas
    Mark

I just finished carving the patterns that PCW posted.
    This worked out much better than anything I have tried so far. I placed the 2 patterns on a board 2" x 10" because that is the size I have for the inserts on my carving sled. Next I placed 2 pieces 2" x 5" in the sled butting against each other held in place with double sided tape and carved the patterns.
    Here are the results. I set one of the takeoff grips over one of the carved patterns and the size is just right.

Thank You PCW for your help with the patterns. Your help has taken me from being frustrated to being excited once again about working with the machine.

Ask Bud,
    Thank you for your instructions. I will be using that info on future scanned items. When I enlarged my scans and looked at them closely in PE I found there was a lot of clean up and modifications I needed to do. I will use that scan for practice cleanup and modifications. On future scans I will utilize a grid to determine the scanning area and to refer to in laying out the pattern.

Thanks again,
    Mark
    Last edited by Burl Source; 12-24-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Now there are a couple more things I need to figure out. I will be reading through the software manual and tips to see if I can find a solution. If anyone would like to give advice or any directions please make a post. I really appreciate the help.

#1 How to make countersunk holes for the screws. Looking at the takeoff grips I have it looks like the largest hole matches the carved pattern. Measuring from the outer surface about 1/16" down the hole needs to be smaller by just over 1/16". I am assuming this is to hold the head of the mounting screws.

#2 The backsides of the grips will need to be grooved for the safety and ? The grip to the left looks to be about 1/8" deep and the one on right about 1/16". I need to figure out how to carve these out of the backside and how to do a cut path to cut each grip out of the board. In summary; how to set up the project to do the carving on the backs and then be able to flip the board to carve the fronts and then cut out the grips utilizing tabs. I hope I am making sense here.

Once again, any help, advice or encouragement is greatly appreciated. I'm not dumb, .... but maybe a slow learner. I just started experimenting with the machine a couple days ago. You guys are helping to speed up the learning process immensely. Thank You.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast