Thread: Y motor / belt slip error

1. Default Y motor / belt slip error

Y truck travel had become v. stiff and was getting "belt slip error"
    1) after bit plate touch, and travel to keypad side, error comes up and allows to continue.
    2)continue gives y axis fault.

Cleaned out the track and got temporary improvement in travel of the truck by hand, but stiff again under project start and same error.
    Took y motor out - a fabrication barb on the big gear had warn through the plastic window. Was packed w saw dust. Cleaned out, re-greased. re-installed. Was still stiff.

adjusting the position of the motor slightly seemed to free up travel again. However, doing a start up for a project gets the same error, and travel is stiff again.

I have ordered a new y motor, assuming bearing wear, but if anyone has some other insight wrt belt tension, etc. I would love to hear.

I suppose it is possible that the "belt slip" is a separate issue from the stiffness/ resistance to travel as I can detect no slip at the point of the error. I have always (4 years) had a noise from the y belt when loading a bit as it goes to the touch plate. It drives the belt for 3 or 4 jumps of the belt on the gear giving a "chunk, chunk chunk".

This slip belt began after running one project on latest software upgrade (1.76). The upgrade resolved a cutmotor error message that came at the start of the carve after getting all the bits. The motor had tested out fine. I believe that was version 1.53

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Last edited by mobident; 12-17-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Bruce,

This could be the 2 Bearings inside the Gear Box are BAD.... Lots posted on this. Ordering a new Motor is good but you can fix it yourself by replacing the bearings. Once the shaft gets worn thin then the big gear will always tilt toward the center causing binding.

OR... When you had your Y Motor out did the Y run smooth.... Sometimes sawdust builds up under the bottom rail on the flat spots on each side of the round rail and causes this too...

Search "Y Bearings" or "Y Gearbox" using the " " on each side and you will find the bearing numbers.

Over 450 cut motor hours and the bearings need replacing..... BEFORE they wear the shaft thin.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

3. Default

Thanks, Al

I don't have the time on the cut motor, but as mentioned, the plastic cover had a good size hole in it and the gears were absolutely stuffed w saw dust.

I had removed the belt and cleaned the track completely, so I think I can eliminate that as a problem.

Interestingly, I have discovered that when powered down, the truck moves freely, so there must be some active tension on the motor when power is on and therefor tilt on the main gear shaft...

Bruce

That is the servo motors holding the last position in balance until the power supply drains down when turned off.

Good Job,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I just experienced this exact same thing last night. Mine is a new machine with less than 10 hours on it. Do you think it's the same problem?

6. Default

Scott,
    Which part of the problem did you experience? Did you get an error message?
    Bruce