Thread: Drilling with a 90 V-Bit

1. Default Drilling with a 90 V-Bit

I am making a game board for marbles and I need to drill a v shaped partially recessed hole on the board for the marbles to sit in. The Tool Menu doesn't have a single hole feature and the drill tool does not allow choosing the 90 degree V-bit. I can get around that by using the 1/16 or 1/8 drill bit and just put in the V-bit at the right time during carving.

Is there another or better way to do it?

As Young William would here from the ROBOT on Lost in Space.... DANGER Young William... DANGER right before he slumped dead.....

OK... Yes, you can use the V Bit for Drilling IF you follow a serious RULE.... If you do it wrong you will most likely SNAP your Z Truck Bearings off..... If you watch the drilling function when you select a hole, it drill's down then makes a spiral making the hole the correct size.... This Spiral will SNAP your Z Truck if you use a V Bit....

BUT.... If you selected the 1/8 inch bit and made the hole 1/8 of an inch so the bit would never spiral, you could install a V Bit and set the depth. I am not sure what the Down Feed Rate would be and if it would stall the Z.... If you selected the 1/16th drill bit, it might be more gentle..... Be sure to make the hole in designer the same diameter as the drill bit so no spiral takes place..

Good Luck....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Why not just make a really small circle and select the v bit?

Hi Beaverwood, I'm definatly not the most experienced user here but... if you have centerlline you could use a period and enlarge it to the size you want.
    I'd think a 1/2" ballnose bit would be more apropriate for a marble, but you know what your looking for maybe "v" is best.

I'm sure the wood species (density) will play a huge part in the machines capability here.
    Last edited by DKD; 08-13-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Default Marble Game

I did this with a 90 Vee with no problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marble Game.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

6. Default Drilling with the V-Bit

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I just continue to do it the way I am; so far no problems. It sure would be easier if they included a "single point" in the geometry selection though.

If you set a grid for your layout with snap to grid selected and double click with the circle tool you will essentially get a single point. Then you can select a bit and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverwood View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like I just continue to do it the way I am; so far no problems. It sure would be easier if they included a "single point" in the geometry selection though.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.