Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you're thinking about buying this machine...

Default If you're thinking about buying this machine...

I have owned my Sears CompuCarve for approximately 3 weeks now and in that time it has been operational for part of 3 of those days. In that time was able able to complete 3 projects while the machine ruined 4 other projects that I attempted. Here is a factual list of the problems that I have had.

1. The unit came with the wrong firmware; thus making it unusable until the correct firmware had been installed. Troubles with this process kept the unit down for most of two days.

2. While troubleshooting the firmware problem I discovered that the vent connection from the motor fan to the plastic lid had been installed backwards, thus preventing the truck from travelling past halfway.

3. While fixing the problem with the motor vent I discovered that the Z-axis motor mount bolts were loose and had not been lock-tited. This allowed the Z-axis motor to droop and would have caused problems in short-order had it not been discovered before the machine ever operated.

After completing the above repairs I finally got to see the bit turn for the first time. I proceded to complete my first and second projects. Both turned out very nice and I was filled with joy (5.5 hrs of run time).

4. While working on my second project I started having problems with the board sensor which got significantly worse on the third project. No amount of cleaning would allow the board sensor to sense the board. With much disgust I disassembled the board sensor, which apparently was supposed to be sealed but was not, cleaned it and reinstalled it; fixing the problem. At least until the next time I had to flip a board or start a new project at which point I had to repeat the above disassembly and cleaning process, sometimes numerous times just to get the unit to work. This problem persisted through the remaining projects I attempted.

5. The problems with the board sensor for some reason caused an abort of the third project (2 hrs into the run).

6. While watching the start of the fourth project I looked down to notice a large washer sitting on the board. I stopped the machine and inspected the project to discover that the bolt holding the tensioning handle had come loose, fallen off and lodged in the already carved out portion of the project. Luckily I was there to stop the machine or the bit would have driven hard into the bolt. Because of this problem this project had to be scrapped.

7. After fixing this issue I started my fifth project which "mysteriously" stopped with an unknown failure which I attributed to a power problem but now suspect a Z-axis issue. This project too was scrapped (1 hr run time).

8. I started my sixth project which was completed successfully and turned out very nice (5 hrs run time).

9. I started my seventh project, an almost identical one to the previous and after 75% completion the unit started to carve a deep groove and then got stuck (yes stuck) in the middle of the project giving a Z-axis stall (5 hrs of run time). This project had to be scrapped.

The unit was sent back to LHR for repair and was returned 12 days later.

10. Upon setup and startup the unit promptly exhibited erratic behavior in the Z-axis direction, alternately diving into the wood too deep and rising above the surface of the board, not "carving" at all.

The unit is currently sitting idle in my workshop waiting for a Z-axis drive unit to come in the mail so that it can be replaced. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

I am a Supervisor of Operations Training at a Nuclear Power facility and have a degree in Electrical Engineering so all of the repairs that I have been asked to make have been well within my abilities. Were this not the case my machine would have spent many more weeks in transit to-and-from the factory to fix these issues. In fact it would be in the box going back right now.

Overall the people at LHR have been very nice and I think are genuinely interested in fixing my machine. However, this is not the immaculate customer service that I have read about in this forum.

I did have the opportunity to talk with the CEO before I sent the unit back the first time, his quote was "...we'll get your machine in, go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is working great..." With this statement in mind, my unit ran for approximately 4 minutes after it was returned to me before it failed again.

I have never been more disappointed with the reliability of a power tool or machine than with this one. I own a full compliment of woodworking and metalworking tools and work on projects from automobile restoration to furniture and cabinet construction for more than 20 years.

If this machine works it can do some amazing things, no question. However, the quality of this product is not what it should be for something that costs nearly $2000.

Provided I can get my machine to work I plan on keeping it but only because I purchased it from Sears and promplty purchased the 5 year protection agreement for an additional $139. Leading me to believe that if they ever do get the quality up I'll be able to exchange mine for a better one. Where I to make this decision again I would wait for a year or two before I purchased this unit to see if they get it figured out or I would spend the extra money to buy a better quality one elsewhere.

If you have any questions about my experience I would be happy to answer them so that you might make the best decision you can.

Michael Petersen

ChiknNutz Guest

Wow, very informative write-up. Thanks for the candor. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and work in Aerospace, but I don't think we should need those credentials to operate a machine such as this.

Default Sears extended warranty

I just got my CompuCarve from Sears and have not had a problem yet, but I will check the items you noted to make sure they are secure.

When I asked at Sears about an extended warranty, they told me that none was available. Do you have a part number for the warranty; it sounds like it might be a sound investment.

Thanks

Al

Just received mine as well, no problems yet. But I also was told there is no extended warranty, so am very interested in getting the service plan you are referring to.

Default Protection Agreement

In the back of the Sears manual for the unit there's a page of phone numbers for repair and parts. Under "To purchase a protection agreement...." is 1-800-827-6655 (US). I have this same sort of thing on a couple of my other Craftsman bench tools so I called them up to find out how much it was $139 (I think) for 5 years. I haven't gotten the paperwork in the mail yet but I have been billed.

Hope that helps.

Dude, your experience really sucks. I just recently got mine and had the problem of the wrong firmware on the memory card (which I saw the notice for when I registered the software) and got a 1/2" collet adapter instead of a second 1/4" one. The CW folks are sending the correct adapter though.

One thing that did impress me though, when I was first reading through this forum was that I was able to read about everyones experiences not just the good ones. I thought it spoke highly of the company behind the product who were willing to let it all show (warts ans all).

Happy carving,
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default Calling Sears for Warranty

I tried calling the number on the back of the manual, but they said there was no part number for the warranty for teh CompuCarve.

Guess I will try again.

littlemikeyp;

In the back of the Sears manual for the unit there's a page of phone numbers for repair and parts. Under "To purchase a protection agreement...." is 1-800-827-6655 (US). I have this same sort of thing on a couple of my other Craftsman bench tools so I called them up to find out how much it was $139 (I think) for 5 years. I haven't gotten the paperwork in the mail yet but I have been billed.
    I have called and talked to the folks at this phone number and was told there is no protection agreement or extended warrenty available for this machine...Bill.
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

It seems from reading the posts on more people are having problems the the CompuCarve then with the CarveWright. Are they not the same basic machine? Maybe I'm not reading the post right or maybe it that I'm not all that big on Craftsman Power tools thats effecting what I read. Any one have any thought on this?
    You should always make time to play with your Grandkids
    Dan

Addendum:

Recieved the replacement Z-axis motor and board today, gladly much earlier than the Dec. 26th date quoted by DHL. Spent a couple of hours doing some work on the machine and talked with Chris R. from LHR for about 20-30 minutes. Here's the low down:

1. Removed the connectors and pulled the old Z-axis motor and board. Hooked up the new (old stock) parts and did some basic tests. During the testing discovered that the board sensor was no longer working. It gave a reading of 0 at all times.

2. Removed the board sensor. Discovered one of the four wires connecting the board sensor to the circuit card had been smashed when it was installed. With some direction from Chris removed the Y-axis truck and removed the connecting cable. Cut, stripped, soldered and heat shrinked the cable but realized it had not been damaged significantly enough to cause the problem. Hooked the board sensor up for troubleshooting and after some basic tests determined that the wiring was AOK and the problem was with the board sensor itself.

3. Inspected the board sensor and could not see any damage. Figuring that I could do no harm, disassembled the glued plastic cover over the LED and sensors. After close investigation determined that when the plastic cover was glued on, some excess glue or stray plastic had partially blocked the LED tube and that after oine partial use enough dust had collected in the tube to block it so that it wouldn't work. Removed the dust, sealed the back of the LEDs and epoxied the cover back on.

The machine is working, kind of, I've had several Y-axis stalls along the way but I'm trying to work through that.

Chris has assured me that they're getting a demo machine from the warehouse and they'll be sending it out to me ASAP because of all the problems I've had. I can keep both machines until I'm sure the new one works well.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast