Thread: Just clicked place order for Rock Chuck

Default Just clicked place order for Rock Chuck

The ghost of oblong holes comes back. I had maybe 20 hours on this OEM chuck and starts the shapped peanut holes again.. You can see the wear in the adaptor.. Its almost like they make them to fail on purpose so you buy more adaptors.. Well not again.. I just placed an order for my first rock chuck. I have a room full of students dissaponted that we can't make nice carvings.

R. Justice is usually pretty good at fast shipping. At least he was with mine, and believe me you'll like the rock chuck.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ckrantz View Post
    The ghost of oblong holes comes back. I had maybe 20 hours on this OEM chuck and starts the shapped peanut holes again.. You can see the wear in the adaptor.. Its almost like they make them to fail on purpose so you buy more adaptors.. Well not again.. I just placed an order for my first rock chuck. I have a room full of students dissaponted that we can't make nice carvings.
    You made a good buy the Rock is a great chuck I have 2 CW one with the Rock and the other with the CT. Just between you and me the Rock is quieter! So did you buy the 1/4" or 1/2" Rock with 1/4" adapter?

I am asking is we had a big discussion about using the QC bits in an 1/4" adapter in the CT. The 1/16th ballnose has a carbine shaft and will slip. The cutting bit has a steel shank and is ok to use. I have a 1/4" Rock and I have had bits slip and I think it was the 1/16th ballnose. I have been using my QC 1/16th bits in my CT and I was told I have been lucky! You might ask Ron about it his chuck is not the same as the CT. Also he makes bits or if it is a 1/2" chuck LHR has a 1/16 ballnose bit with a pressed on sleeve that will work. Plus www.precisebits.com makes the 1/16th ballnose and they work great! From the discussion any carbine shaft bit will slip and all professional steel shaft bits will not!

With the kids in your class you want to be careful. Still it is a great chuck and you will be happy! Make sure you heat the chuck before trying to remove the QC and be careful of the rubber gear belt on the Z truck! All you need is a big enough steel rod to go into the QC and apply the heat and it will transfer the heat to loosen the locktite. I did not have a steel rod so I used a socket wrench extension! I hope you bought the removal tool that fits into the top where the flex shaft goes in. You can see if it will come off without heat,but do not force it or you will damage the removal tool.

Good luck and get those kids carving again!

Ike

ckrantz,
    Your order shipped today. Please be sure to orient any of the old CW bits properly. You need to have the flat point towards the hex in the clamp screw (where you insert the "T" handle to tighten up the bit)... In the future if you go with a sleeve for my 1/8" cutout bits, you need the slit in the sleeve pointing towards the hex also. If you follow these simple rules, the bits will not slip in the Rock Chuck, with or without sleeves.

For those using the CT chuck, if you try the Rock Sleeves in your CT, they will not work with the same orientation! The clamp mechanisms do not clamp the tools in the same spot. Please email me if you have questions about this, by clicking the email link below in my signature...

Thanks and Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here