Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stacked Books Decorative Box - Project of the Month

Default Stacked Books Decorative Box - Project of the Month

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for DEC 2010), the Stacked Books Decorative Box. This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This decorative box looks like five books stacked on top of one another. The top book is the lid. You can stow remote controls, stationary, cherished items or whatever you wish in the Stacked Books box!

The project requires no special bits and all components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine. The finished dimensions of the assembled Stacked Books Box are about 11" wide x 8½" deep x 5½" tall.

You will need to cut miter joints where the sides and rear pieces join, using a miter box or chop saw or table saw.

Main items you will need:

1)The Project Files (included):
    • ADV_BookBox_Base.mpc
    • ADV_Bookbox_TOP_frame.mpc
    • Plain_Bookbox_TOP_Layer.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    BookBox Base: 0.75" x 11" x 28"
    BookBox Top frame: 0.75" x 9.25" x 19"
    BookBox Top Layer: 0.75" x 11" x 19"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

Box Bottom (not an mpc):
    approx. dimensions: .75" x 7.25" x 9.5"

3)
    Box clamps (strap), miter box or chop saw or table saw, hinges, decorative chain

4) Glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish (optional: self-stick cork and felt sheets for bottom and inside of box)

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Stacked Books Decorative Box made from Select Pine:

2 coats of Bullseye SealCoat, sanding between coats
    (thinned... 2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

2 coats Bullseye SealCoat, straight from can
    applied various colored water-based stains - as a glazing technique (Minwax Express Color tubes in Emerald, Mahogany, Indigo, Crimson and Minwax Vermont Maple water-based stain from a can)
    2 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray
    applied Minwax oil-based Dark Walnut stain overall, then wiped off, giving the appearance of “old” books
    2 more coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray
    2 coats Minwax water-base Satin polycrylic (brushed on)

After the finish is dry, re-install your hinges and a length of decorative chain inside the box as a strain relief to limit the lid from opening back too far. You can then apply self-stick cork sheeting to the exterior bottom of the box and line the box interior with self-stick felt sheeting, if desired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Book_Stack_FRONT_corner_view_closed_540x436.jpg   Book_Stack_FRONT_corner_view_open_540x535.jpg   Book_Stack_rear_corner_view_540x398.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Wow!!!! You really out did yourself this time! That is fantasticalleriffic! (ok.. so that IS a made up word... i figured I was on a roll and went with it.) My GF is a librarian so there is no way I'm getting out of making this one.
    Doug Fletcher

Another nice one Michael,

A Great looking fall or winter Project
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Michael
    That is really a nice project. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.
    Gimme Steam.

you always seem to out do yourself michael.
    -Jason

Another great one Michael! I know the wife will love this one!

Fantastic Michael. The perfect holder for all that small gear that floats around the table and desk. Have to do several. Well done as always.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Good job Michael, looks like you put some thought into this project. I like how you positioned the hinges so it doesn't open like a regular book, a magnet would help keep the grandkids out also...thanks

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

WOW, this is a great project. IF a person was really, really good (or knew someone that was) then the book edge could have a title, author and publisher painted on it.

I'm just finishing up 10 of the book holders as Christmas presents and need to carve/finish two more "NOEL" screens for my wife's co-workers. Busier than Santa's workshop.

Gean

Thank you, everyone!

Hey Gean,

There are so many possibilities for this project - one being doing what you said. I was in Michaels Arts & Crafts and saw they have Rub-On "decals" and lettering. That might be a neat way to put titles on the book binder ends. Also, the top "bookcover" (the lid) was intentionally left plain. It's a perfect place to use some nice Centerline Text to customize/personalize with a book "title" on the cover (you could get creative there with something like "The Adventures of <someone's name>", or whatever). Have fun with it!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast