Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to CarveTight - Selling quick change bits. What's the market price?

Default Upgraded to CarveTight - Selling quick change bits. What's the market price?

I had to upgrade to the CarveTight (new spindle). I have one new (never used) 1/8" cutting bit that came with the machine and a once used 1/16" carving bit. Both for the quick change (original "B" version of the spindle).

Just bought the 1/16" carving bit to use on a special project but ended up only using it once on a 10"x12" carving in cherry. The CarveWright support guys warned me not to cut off the press-on adapter because it would shatter in the new system. So I'm selling them.

What are these worth?

How much do you want for the quick change chuck and the bits?
    Love to Make the sawdust, But I sure Hate to clean it up.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    Website isn't carving related but a good place to buy a auto:
    www.hcautos.com

Amazon sells them for $29 new.

Quote Originally Posted by badger2424 View Post
    How much do you want for the quick change chuck and the bits?
    CarveWright is giving me the $40 rebate on the Chuck/z-truck. If you want to offer more that's great, however, the chuck has problems. It won't hold a new bit anymore. Don't know why. I would sell both bits together for $40.

I asked the CarveWright guys about using reusing my bits in the way you suggested and they warned me not to do that. I was told that if I tried using my old bits with the new Carvetight, the bits could shatter. They said the new Carvetight would exert more force on the bits (less room for tolerance) and, therefore, I would need the newer 100% carbide bits. Apparently the old bits are not 100% carbide.

Was that just a sales job, half truths or is it right on?

Quote Originally Posted by pjfiedler View Post
    I asked the CarveWright guys about using reusing my bits in the way you suggested and they warned me not to do that. I was told that if I tried using my old bits with the new Carvetight, the bits could shatter. They said the new Carvetight would exert more force on the bits (less room for tolerance) and, therefore, I would need the newer 100% carbide bits. Apparently the old bits are not 100% carbide.

Was that just a sales job, half truths or is it right on?
    I think you did not understand the warning!
    The 1/16" Carving and the 1/8" Cutting bits should not be reused in the CarveTight (CT) chuck. All other bits purchased from LHR will work fine.
    These two bits, listed above, should have a "press on collar" rather than using a split collet (this is because the shanks are carbide, and a split collet may allow for slippage).

You need a "Split Collet" for the ones with a 1/4" shank. LHR has the Collet for sale in their store.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Thanks for clarify for everyone. My bad. I knew the "bit reuse" statement by CarveWright only referred to the 1/16" and 1/8" press-on bits. I should have been more accurate in my posting.

Quote Originally Posted by pjfiedler View Post
    Thanks for clarify for everyone. My bad. I knew the "bit reuse" statement by CarveWright only referred to the 1/16" and 1/8" press-on bits. I should have been more accurate in my posting.

I use the old carving and cutting bits with my unit. But I do not use the Collet that LHR sells. I use one that Ron (The Rock) sells and was made for that use. The LHR bits are easer to use if you need several bits for a carving and they work great.

Any time a smaller bit than 1/2 inch the Collet needs to be placed in the right position or it will not hold the bits.

With Ron's Collet the slot needs to be placed in the right position. See images. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050464.JPG   P1050463.JPG  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Hi Ike,

The Tips & Tricks ISSUE 29 April 2010 – Announcing the CarveTight explains what can be used with the CT, which bits use sleeves, which cannot, etc., etc. Hope that helps clarify the subject for you!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

The 1/4" all carbide bits must have hard pressed adaptors. Only 1/4" steel shank bits (from full bit set) can have QC adapter removed and use 1/4" split collet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast