Thread: Dust Collection information

Default Dust Collection information

All,

I am a relatively new CW owner and have been enjoying experimenting with the machine and carving musical instruments. I am new to CW but not new to woodworking. Reading over several of the threads about dust collection, I wanted to share two things that have improved my dust collecting design and efficiency.

The first is a website that has great information about dust collection, suggestions that work and helpful hints for the shop owner. Check it out http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/index.cfm
    This website is referenced in another posting. That post is worth reading.

The second is a hint from the Bill Pentz website. I replaced the cloth bag on my Delta dust collector with a cartridge filter http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

It increased the performance of my dust collector significantly.

I installed the Top Mount Dust Collector Insert from ringneckblues http://www.ringneckblues.com/Dust_Collector_Insert.php

I am very happy to work in my virtually dust free shop.

Just sharing what I learned the hard way.

Bob
    Bob Pittman
    using rock chuck, designer 1.182, dxf importer, scanning probe, stl importer
    Windows 7
    member of New England Luthiers
    http://www.newenglandluthiers.org/

Bob,
    Thanks for the update and links. What filter system did you go with? It sounds like it gives a big improvement to the system..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hi Bob,

I also have the DC insert from RingNeckBlues. Love it! I never realized that it's possible to get a cartridge to replace the cloth bag. Does it really work better? Not that I've found any problem with the cloth, I just haven't actually found the need to clean it yet either.

Thanks for the tips!

Dan'L
    LeatherMan from:
    www.JustLeather.Com

I bought the filter cartridge 35A274BLOL ($106). It was a little cumbersome to install. It is a little pricey but I made it a priority to have clean lungs over getting another tool.

I did not measure the actual difference but I would say I got 2 or 3 times more suction. The reason is the pleated filter has a lot more surface area for the air to move through. It really was a great improvement.

In addition, I had an old hot air furnace blower that I got at a yard sale for $5 and made an air filter for the shop. http://www.rockslide.org/Images/air_filter.pdf As good as the dust collector is, there still is dust floating around the shop form table saws, sanding, and the CW. This pulls out that extra little bit and hopefully keeps it out of my lungs.

I was late to the parade of good dust management (about 15 years late) and now I am doing whatever I can to keep it safe in the shop.
    Bob Pittman
    Windows 7

Great stuff Bob!

We all appreciate it. My number one concern is the CW. Since there's a Y connector on the DC, I plugged it into the table saw too. With individual shut off gates of coarse. I mostly do custom embossing plates for leather on the CW using Corian (1/2 and 1/4 inch thick). As small and tight as the machine can do. I've been very impressed thus far. Coming up to a year now without a hitch!

One of these days I'll post my accomplishments. From custom beverage coasters to custom cookie embossers. Not to mention leather photos to custom leather container wrappers.

Thanks again!

Dan'L
    LeatherMan from:
    www.JustLeather.Com

Bob,
    Thanks for posting the link to the shop air filter. I just finished up detail sanding on some work and even with running my dust collector with a hose at the source of the work I can tell it does not get all of the dust generated.. A item for the to do list for sure!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I've bought my Jet DC with a canister filter--love it. Lots of suction, and little maintenance. My DC is in a small closet next to my shop to minimize noise--the closet is the cleanest room in my basement--no dust gets through the canister!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010047.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	40886Here is a quick modification I made to my dust collection. I got tired of the fine dust blowinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010048.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	40885g out of the exhaust port sock. With a couple of parts from Woodcraft and Rockler, I was able to connect the exhaust port to the dust collector.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010046.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	671.5 KB 
ID:	40884
    Bob Pittman
    Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by robertdpittman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010047.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	40886Here is a quick modification I made to my dust collection. I got tired of the fine dust blowinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010048.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	40885g out of the exhaust port sock. With a couple of parts from Woodcraft and Rockler, I was able to connect the exhaust port to the dust collector.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010046.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	671.5 KB 
ID:	40884

I have been thinking of something like that for a long time. Thanks for sharing yours. I like it a lot.