Thread: Slow Uploads to Flash Card

Default Slow Uploads to Flash Card

My computer is a 2.8 ghtz (single core), plenty of ram runnig XP. My uploads to the CW flash card are excruiatingly slow. As long as 10 or more minutes to upload a 1 mb file. The Flash Manager is also extremely slow. I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with my CW software setup or this is just the nature of the beast. Any comments?

Bill

Do you know if your usb ports are 2.0 or 1.0? Also, if going thru a usb hub, make sure it is 2.0. Anything on a usb 1.0 bus will be much slower than using a native 2.0 bus. I believe usb 2.0 ports are capable of tranfers up to 480Mbps while usb 1.1 ports are limited to 12Mbps. In other words, usb 2.0 is about 40 times faster than the earlier usb bus.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-15-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

My hub is 2.0. In the past I have used my scanner, printer and camera thru the hub with no problems. Just to check, though, I will try it connected straight to the computer after my CW completes carving a project and post my findings. I have had my CW for over two years and the flash drive has been extremely slow ever since I've owned it. I have just thought CW was using old technology. Wonder if the flash dirve is 1.0 -- I never thought of that.

Shotgun,

One other possible contribution is the number of programs or processes running at one time. I have one of the fastest computers you can buy but there are times I'm ready to punch it out and I know I have to close some of the programs I have running. Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to take a look at how many processes are going on at one time and the amount of load placed on your processor.

chief

Thanks Chief and Doug -- I've plugged the flash drive directly into the computer and the file that took over 10 minutes earlier through the hub took only a little over two minutes to upload -- so it appears the problem is associated with the hub. The hub is 2.0 (made in China). Can't believe I've sat here for months waiting patiently for the uploads to go through without doing a common sense trouble shoot, although my wife says it doesn't surprise her at all!