Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designer License Has Disappeared

Terry et al,

I'm having a problem with the suggestion that an update to the BIOS is causing a problem with the registration file. The BIOS is installed on an EPROM and, to the best of my knowledge, there are no files placed anywhere on your hard drive that could cause the faintest chance of interaction with your registration file. Even if the file is kept on CW's server, I can't see it happening.

If the cause is ever determined, please post.

Chief

2. Default

Sorry you are having a problem with it. Makes it harder to help you.
    Last edited by TerryT; 11-15-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Terry et al,

I'm having a problem with the suggestion that an update to the BIOS is causing a problem with the registration file. The BIOS is installed on an EPROM and, to the best of my knowledge, there are no files placed anywhere on your hard drive that could cause the faintest chance of interaction with your registration file. Even if the file is kept on CW's server, I can't see it happening.

If the cause is ever determined, please post.

Chief

What you are probably overlooking is that the bios has several feilds that can be queried. If LHR has used any of those fields in there lisencing scheme, then a BIOS update certinaly could break their license. This was a common method for software protection back in the 90's but you dont see it being used very much amymore for these exact reasons. I have also seen software protection that ties itself to the MAC address of the network card.. of course if you replace the card... you in the same boat.. the software lock no longer works.
    Doug Fletcher

I would like to know are palm trees hard wood of soft wood. And how does it carve?
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

Capt:

Did you ever call and get this straightened out?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Capt:

Did you ever call and get this straightened out?
    Yep. I believe that I had spoken with him a little earlier in the week, and he should be good to go.

Capt, it was good talking to ya!
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

I had the same issue due to a new computer and without calling LHR, I couldn't do anything. Alex was kind enough to help me but I noticed that on the website, in the account info, you cannot use the edit button to change anything.
    Is there a reason for that ?
    Benoit

About the only thing you should be able to change is the "Description of the Computer".

Tip: Do not download the latest version over the weekend unless you know you have an available license (check your Customer Account to see). Usually, it is fine, but in some instances, it resets your computer ID and that is what we use to identify your computer and the associated licenses. If you only have one computer that you are using, make sure you send us an email or call us to free up the old one that is not being used. Also, this is not something I or the staff can do remotely. We must be at the office to make changes to your Customer Account.

Tips for "Re-installation Due to Hard Drive Failures, Changes to your System or New PC" is located in Section 1.2 under the LEARN menu at www.carvewright.com.

Just a quick note to thank Alex for his fine assistance Monday afternoon after my last post. He had me re-licensed within 15 minutes even waiting patiently while my Laptop loaded up on a slow remote wireless connection for the PC to be renamed. I really appreciate the fine support. Sorry I did not post again because that pesky full time job thing got in the way again all week.

Born to carve, doomed to work.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by oldjoe View Post
    I would like to know are palm trees hard wood of soft wood. And how does it carve?
    OldJoe,
    Never got the chance to find out because for some strange reason they objected to my plan to cut and harvest some lumber while I was there. Picky, picky, picky.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12