Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still breaking 1/16th bits

Unhappy Still breaking 1/16th bits

I am still in the hospital and my wife has taken over my shop.
    My wife has broken 3 more 1/16th bits. I have a 1/2 plywood sled with 1.25 rails. My oak is 1/4 x 2.5 x 30. The key chain width is 3/4" wide. I use carpet tape to hold the wood on the sled. As she watch it cut, it dose the cut through 1st and then it cuts the letters. Even though I have my board held with the carpet tape the individual key chain it comes loose. I even set my depth not to cut all the way through. I leave a 1/64th , and I still break bits. anyone have any Ideas.

I think CW should do the letters 1st and then the cut through. I also think we should have the option of placing tabs on outline cuts.
    Poppy

I have not done it yet with key tags.... But I am planning to do the setup with the 1/16 inch bit then select all and assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit. This locks the feed rate into 1st gear.

I did this for procedure to cut the tags from my 12 x 24 inch sheet stock. And YES normally I could hear the bit being pushed FASTER than the Cutting ROTATION. Even after I changed the Y Gear Box Bearings.... I still heard the Y CLICK when it shifted into second gear....

SO I did the setup then selected all the cut vectors, (not using cut path so NO Tabs) and assigned the 1/4 inch bull nose bit. This locked my cutting vectors into first gear of a feed rate.... It made my 15 min project into 1 hour and 5 minutes. The REWARD was a VERY SMOOTH CUT and the 1/16 inch bit the I was using was not being pushed through the material faster than it can cut..... THAT is why your key tags are being pushed off the carpet tape....

Do this and you will get better results.

GET WELL SOON,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-13-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

When you say "it does the cut through first", I presume you mean the outside perimeter of the key chain? Per the following thread, in particular mtylerfl's entry, (which is a bit dated, but presumably still accurate) http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...arving%20order the cut-out should occur last. If you happen to be using the vector cut (ie, "Select Bit" function), then it might be moving the cut out earlier in the cut sequence. If so, you might want to try the Cut Path function for the perimeter cutout...

Al
    I did set the bit to 1/4 and the problem is it cuts the out side 1st. I wish in the next release the would open up the tab function and all to put tabs where you need them. I hope to get out of here by mid next week. Thanks for your help.
    Poppy

Angry

O'oooo......

Something to look into....

Since this is a FONT that is making this..... I played around with it.... Trying to outline it... no luck... Make a carve region then outline.... NO Luck.... Even turned on Contour.... Crashed Designer a few times playing....

Something to mess with later... Some wood signs are calling my name.... Time to paint signs...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Red face

Al and all

I was playing around with this Keychain, I am attatching the mpc. I used the segment line tool and drawed a some lines and the tab function became available. Please look at the mpc, I can not see the tabs I placed is the normal or am I getting tricked.

Attachment 39920
    Poppy

I don't see tabs....

AL

Quote Originally Posted by lhanner View Post
    Al and all

I was playing around with this Keychain, I am attatching the mpc. I used the segment line tool and drawed a some lines and the tab function became available. Please look at the mpc, I can not see the tabs I placed is the normal or am I getting tricked.

Attachment 39920
    Hello Lon,

I cannot view your MPC properly because I don't have the font you used (the mychain font). If you have a weblink to the font, we can download it, install it, then view the MPC as intended. However, I see that you have manually assigned the cutting bit, so there will be no tabs, of course.

Probably no need to make manual tabs as long as you use the Cut Path Tool instead of attempting manual cutting/bit assignment. But, if you feel you must create manual tabs for some reason, you can do so if you wish and if/when it makes sense for a particular project...

ISSUE 8 May 2008 – How and Why To Make Manual Cut Paths (many techniques described here became unnecessary when the 1.131 Designer was released)

ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights (this describes newer/current techniques)

By the way, when you use the Cut Path Tool, your cut outs will be performed in the proper order, i.e., the inside of letters will be cut before the outside (called "nested cutouts"). Manual cut/bit assignments will not guarantee any particular cut order at all, because it bypasses the machine logic programming for ordering nested cutouts properly. Another thought, when you attempt your "manual cut outs" you are also bypassing the machine logic of function order...i.e., cutouts performed last. You are likely running into a host of issues because the project is not being laid out "properly". I will be happy to layout a brief project for you, if you can't figure out how to do it. Send me an email with your project and any font that is required, and I'll "fix it" for ya.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 11-14-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Here is where you can get the font.

http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

It installs with the program. Then you can use it with a Laser or CW as it is a FONT.

AL

Thanks, AL!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast