Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector elbow

Default Dust Collector elbow

The dust bag keeps getting holes in it and the duet blows thru it anyway. I have a downdraft table so I found a solution. I used a 3x3x2 ABS elbow designed for a DWV (drain, waist, vent) installation for a toilet. The 2" heel opening I plumed to replace the dust bag and the elbow is a more convenient attachment for the suction hose than the straight out one. I used a piece of coat hanger to prop the hose clear of the out-feed table.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dust elbo2.jpg   dust elbo1.jpg  

Im not sure but i would think that now you have reduced the amount of suction on your table and are provideing suction where it is not really needed in the first place but i my be completely wrong. If you have plenty of air flow it may not matter im talking about smaller units.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

I don't want to rain on anyones parade..... Any dust collection is GOOD....

Ed has a point..... I have mixed feelings about this.... On one hand I like that the fine cut motor dust has a home in the dust collector.... On the other hand..... Remember the guys on Survivor making "FIRE".... I have looked at others drawing a suction on the motor exhaust and wondered if sparks from the brushes could catch the wood inside the cut motor onfire.... With a Serious suction on the muffler, you turn the cut motor into a filter.... as wood chips would be sucked into the cut motor near the brushes. As it is now, the 2 sided cut motor fan sucks air through the vents and past the brushes and past the stator and rotor and out into the dust bag. The other part of the fan sucks air from the underside electronics area.

I am thinking that when I get my wood shop finally set up that I am going to vent the muffler outside into a sound muffling 5 gal metal bucket. The muffler as I routinely use my machine after 10 PM... My neighbor is about 3/4 of a mile away.... I can hear his router in his shop in the daytime.

Time will tell.... If anyone gets a fire we will be the first to hear about it..... Like this poor Laser Operator... Cutting Acrylic and left for some Coffee or something...

And with a down draft in the center slot we must use weather seal to keep from sucking through the power supply and computer area.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01461_WEB.jpg   DSC01465_WEB.jpg   DSC01462_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Isnt some of the "backpressure" from the blower also used to direct air flow in the machine? Specifically I was thinking that air tube on the keypad side... i never really looked that close but I always figured that was from the same fan that blows in to the exhaust muffler. This is all just from my head though... I've never looked that lcose at the machine to see where the air flow is actually coming from for that tube.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

I believe that the cut motor sucks air through that tube from the electronics.

Not a very good picture but the Muffler Pipe is sticking up and the right lower side of the picture shows the seal for the suction section.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06142_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

i read somewhere that at a trade show the factory guys had an old sock inside the bag.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIMCOSBY View Post
    i read somewhere that at a trade show the factory guys had an old sock inside the bag.
    They were using it to muffle/deaden the sound of the machine. I tried it for a while but it was a bigger mess cleaning all of the dust out of the sock.

I've gone to a filter bag on the end of a hose. Does a great job on the fine dust, very little for the sound...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3151 (Medium).jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not but after my machine does it's bit plate touch off I put the hose that I have coming from the exhaust port muffler into the slot in the top of my machine, it helps keep the dust moving so my Ringneck Blues dust collector can suck it up. Sort of a hassle to do this each time but it helps keep the machine a lot cleaner.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    I don't know if this is a good thing or not but after my machine does it's bit plate touch off I put the hose that I have coming from the exhaust port muffler into the slot in the top of my machine, it helps keep the dust moving so my Ringneck Blues dust collector can suck it up. Sort of a hassle to do this each time but it helps keep the machine a lot cleaner.

CJ
    If you started with a "Downdraft" system like many of us in the past, consider this post on re-routing the exhaust I made quite a while ago.
    AskBud
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...193#post124193
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post

CJ
    I also do not know if this is good or not, but way couldn't you cut a hole in the back panel and put the hose in that way? Then you wouldn't have to do it after the bit touches off the plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast