Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victorian-Style Tree Ornaments - Project of the Month

Default Victorian-Style Tree Ornaments - Project of the Month

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the Victorian-Style Tree Ornaments (for Nov. 2010). This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

The Victorian Era is often looked upon with a wistful nostalgia. Fashion and decor were often ornate and eclectic, blending traditional and ornamental styles. In that spirit, this project features a set of twelve unique Christmas tree ornaments for you to enjoy or give away as gifts to friends and family. A carved ornament signed and dated by the maker will give loved ones a fond memory each year!

The project requires no special bits and all components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine. Each ornament is about 3½" diameter.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Ornaments_1.mpc
    • Ornaments_2.mpc
    • Ornaments_3.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Ornaments_1: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"
    Ornaments_2: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"
    Ornaments_3: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24”

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required). Make certain your boards are a TRUE ½" thick - boards less than a true ½" thickness will NOT work.

3) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish, decorative ribbon to hang ornaments

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Victorian-Style Ornaments made from Clear Pine:

3 coats of Bullseye SealCoat, sanding between coats
    (thinned... 2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

2 coats Bullseye SealCoat, straight from can
    spray primer (Krylon Ruddy Brown) then sanded
    spray gold paint (Krylon Metallic Brilliant Gold)
    brushed on Red Acrylic craft paint (then wiped off)
    buffed with clean, soft cloth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished_Ornaments_on_dark_Background_300x452.jpg   Finished_Ornaments_on_Tree_375x500.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Very Nice Michael,

They all look Great!!
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Michael,

Another great monthly project and the timing could not be better.. Tis the season coming upon us and I've already started carving some. I've been asked to participate in a benifit craft show in November so these will be added to the list..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Excellent Designs....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

my great designs.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thanks, everyone! I think you'll have fun with this one - almost unlimited possibilities for finishing/painting/etc!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Nice job!

A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.
    Your detail work is the bomb! if you get a chance can you take a photo of the tools you use to sand your Ornaments?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Nice job!

Your detail work is the bomb! if you get a chance can you take a photo of the tools you use to sand your Ornaments?
    Thanks, LG (your detail work and FINISHING is superb!!)

Here is a photo (below) of all the tools I used for sanding/cleaning up details. These are pretty much all I use for most of my projects.

I should note that the 12 ornaments are laid out as four per board. On the first set of four, I selected the "BEST" setting when uploading to the card. It did fine, but on the next set of four, I selected "OPTIMAL" during upload. WOW! What a difference! - very little sanding was needed, so I did the last set of four with the "OPTIMAL" setting as well. Makes all the difference in the world. The small details are much more defined and cleaner when using OPTIMAL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Detail_Sanding_Tools.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Those are kick butt Michael......I really like them, looks like a perfect Christmas gift to me...and I can't wait....the tissue box came out well too...

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Thanks, Jerry. Glad your Schnoz Box came out well, too!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast