Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now I have no idea! Can anyone help?

Default Well, well...it appears it might be the fcc cable...

AL,

I was trying to get her running just now. I found that I was NOT getting any board reading (reading zero) until the about 2 inches in from the edge (the same place that I would pick up the error msg). I reached around back of the Z motor and touched the fcc cable, got a reading. I played with the cable and got the machine to measure width, length and thickness and then went back to the same error message. Played with the cable, same thing: would work until I let off pressure of cable. It appears that I might be in need of a new cable. I'll call LHR tomorrow and see how much one is and how long it'll take to get here. It figures that after a year and half of 'playing around' with carving and the machine, I actually got some customers who want carvings made and she goes down on me...

Thanks

Eddie

Eddie
    I just ordered one yesterday. It costs about $2.95 but don't forget there is a standard $12.00 shipping fee. If there is anything else you need it is best to order it at the same time. That way the shipping fee wont hurt as bad.
    Gimme Steam.

I wish I had seen this earlier.... Since you mentioned a year and a half... The LHR Tech more than likely never asked you if you had the old 18 Pin FSC cable or the new 14 pin FSC cable..... Unless you mentioned 1.5 years of messing around I would never have thought of it either.... IF you have the old 18 pin and you plug in the 14 pin cable you will SHORT OUT YOUR COMPUTER...... It was posted before.... Had a 18 pin old system and was sent a new 14 pin..... Shorted out the comnputer.... $300.00 Please....

So count the pins on the old FSC Cable.... If you have the old 18 pin I recommend you contact LHR and get the parts to make it a 14 pin system. The wires are thicker in the 14 pin and do not break as easy and handle more current..... Like a AAA and D Battery..... More current.....

What was happening was a broken wire in the FSC Cable would touch and not touch driving you nuts.... with a Intermittant problem....

See Pictures... Note I was confused and put on the picture 16 pin... but it really is 18 pin for the old one....

Good Job,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06658_WEB.jpg   DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06653_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

AL and Tim,

Thanks. I will check out the number of pins when I get home from the 'real' job. I am shining a chair with my but with this current assignment and it drives me nuts sometimes, but I do get to go home every night and play around in the sho and make some splinters...

Tim,

I did forget about the standard $12 shipping, thanks for the reminder.

Eddie

AL,

I just went home to check the cable, it is a 14 pin.

Thanks again to ALL

Eddie

AL;
    In the first photo you have below is that the gear you replace at around 500 hours and the same gear where teeth break?

2 different gears.... The 500 Hour Gear is the big plastic gear in the gearbox of the Y Motor. Because of the left and right motion and high stress of cutting, I have found that the 2 ball bearings of that gear wear out at about 500 hours. I recommend replacing them at 500 hours. My bearings failed at about 750 hours.

The first symptom of the warn bearings on the Y is a Popping or Clicking at the Bit Plate.... The belt will not stretch but the bearings wear and make slack in the long Y belt.... Preventive Maintenance....

When the Y bearings fail they start to wear the shaft THIN....

The other gear is the X plastic Drive Gears.... Designed to snap when jammed.... The more expensive Motor or Computer Drive are saved when the gear snaps.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC09643_WEB.jpg   DSC05652_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-26-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Ahh Haa, thanks AL, think I may finally have those grears straight in my head, or at least I sure hope so!

To all,

I have order the parts, when they come in I'll post about the results...

Also, I am thinking about getting a second machine. AL, any advice on new vs. refurbished/used? I know the onviousl benefits of new, warranty, etc...

Thanks again

Eddie

To All,

Got the parts in this morning, replaced everything that I was able to troubleshoot (with the outstanding wisdom of AL), recalibrated all aspects and currently have a test carving running. I will post the results.

AL thanks again!

Eddie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast