Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board find fault

Default Board find fault

When trying to start a project, seems like my machine is not recognizing the work piece. I am getting a "Board Find Fault" error 484. The Flash Manager says send to CW but that also gives an error 902. Any one else having this experience or can you help me? Will ask CW tomorrow?
    Measure Twice:Cut once:Cuss Zero

Hey serbert
    A couple things to try,
    make sure the straight edge of your board is next to the fence and on the little roller in the middle. Thats the board sencer.
    Then when you crank the handle down on the wood until it clicks, try
    pressing down on the carrage that the head rides on as you crank the hand a little more to get a little more pressure on the rollers.
    sometimes this helps with alarms.
    Also , what color of wood are you useing?
    Somtimes real light wood might need a strip of tape across it .
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

I too am having a Board Fault Error 484 but only after many attempts to get the bit loaded and calibrated. The odd part is that the board is measured just fine. Below are the basic steps.

1) Load Board (10x10.1/2 MDF)
    2) Turn machine on with card in.
    3) Select project
    4) Asks about under rollers - Y
    5) Machine measures board (gets it right too)
    6) Asks keep original size - Y
    7) Asks about center – Y and cut to size - N
    Asks to select bit 1/16 Carver –Press enter (Before pressing enter it lets me switch between 1/16 and 1/8 carver. Is the 1/8 craver the other bit that comes with the unit. It is referred to as the 1/8 cutoff bit and not the carver. Either way this problem happens with either bit)
    9) Moves cutter head to center
    10) Load bit- close lid, hit enter
    11) Cutter motor turns on for just about 2 second (This seems dangerous since the position is not well known and tested by the machine. What if I had left it on the work piece.?)
    12) Bit moves to far left and does a series of up and down motions. It looks as if it goes all the way down and hits a small ribbed surface. (Is this the bit height sensor surface?)
    13) Bit moves all the way to Right and repeats the same up down sequence. (There is a small lever that rotates out horizontally, is this the height sensor? I ask since the bit never hits this arm. However, if I had a bigger bit it would. This worries me since it is either not functioning now or is function correctly but will be big trouble if I ever use a larger bit. )
    14) bit goes back to the left and repeats the up down thing on the left and right one more time
    15) Goes to the left edge of the board and descends slowly but never reaches the board misses by ½ in or less. It does this in three different spots on the left edge then the right edge of the board.
    16) Returns to the load position and asks for the bit. This process from step 10 to 16 will repeat seemingly forever until I hit stop. Then it repeats the sequence one more time and then finally gives the board error.

I have tried all the obvious things:
    Reloaded the bit
    Tried the other bit
    Checked all the cables
    Checked the board sensor
    Reloaded the board
    Checked the lever arm on the right side to ensure it could swing freely

At this point I’m stumped. The machine is brand new and has 0 cutting time. This is my test project. (For all the software developers out there my test project is a small Hello World Sign, it just seemed appropriate )

Of note this unit was one of the early Sears models that had the wrong firmware. As soon as the machine came on and showed the MWM tests menu I turned the machine off. I followed the process on the forum elsewhere and all worked accordingly. I checked the serial number in the memory and on the machine and they matched. According to the other post this means the firmware process went as planned and the machine should not have lost its calibration.

I just went back to try a few things and ensure that the steps described above is accurate this time the bit hit the small arm on the right side. Not on the top but on the side. It seemed to hit a bit of a snag but it didn’t cause a problem or stop. However, when it went back to the left the bit went down and then abruptly stopped with a z-axis 246 error.

My best guess is that the machine is out of calibration. This wouldn’t bother me except the calibration process calls for the 3/8 bit which did not come with the unit. Is there any way to calibrate the machine with out this bit?

TIA,
    Joshua

JOSHUA

This is serbert and it sounds like we are having the exact same problem. In addition I did the Board Sensor tests on page 37 of the Manual. My reading was 134 when it should be in the range of 150 to 170. Also when placing my hand under the Board Sensor the the LCD reading did not go to 50.
    If there is no one else we should be ready to send this info to CW or if they get this post maybe will will get some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My machine is also from SEARS and I went through the start up updates to arrive at the same point that you are.

SERBERT
    Measure Twice:Cut once:Cuss Zero

Try this
    turn machine on with card in etc.etc.
    follow steps on keypad
    it will tell you to load board
    then crank the handle til it ratchets and see if the readout tell you to procede. sometimes the board does not get enough roller presure on it , thats when you have to press on the arm above the rollers while cranking the handle a little more.
    Also make sure your board is beside the solid fence near the keypad and not on it and be sure to move the moveable fenceon the other end up to the board.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

SERBERT,

Well, it is good to know it isn't just me. I added my post here because it sounded like the same problem. I did not do the test you mentioned on page 37. When I get a chance I will to see if your results are the same as for my unit. I did do the sensor check through one of the option menus and it seemed to know when the machine was homed and when it was over a board.

IMHO it is not a problem with the rollers, crank or the board sensor. The board sensor does find the edge of the board and is able to very accurately measure the board. This means the traction system, the roller sensor for the x axis, the board sensor and the Y and Z motors all have to be working correctly. I truly believe the problem lies in the bit sensor or the mechanics of detecting the tip of the bit. When we get the error that it can’t find the board I believe it means it can’t find the top of the board (0 in the z axis).

I will attempt to call CW and post whatever answer I get. Please call them too if you can. I’m not sure when I can and wont be able to test anything for a day or two.

Does your bit hit or miss the arm that swings out on the right side? I’m curious because I really feel as though this is a problem.

Joshua

Additional information for completeness:

Firmware version: 1.113 (I think)

Where can we find out what is the current version of the firmware? Is it only through the designer software?

I followed the updated lubrication instructions with the Gunk Industrial Chain Lube with Moly. IT seemed to go well. I did notice that there was a bit of lubrication fluid that had leaked unto the bit and bit holder even after the flex shaft had been dried. I’m wondering if this has caused a sensor to malfunction. All the excess lubrication fluid was easy to clean up and it didn’t get on the machine.

Joshua, when you are telling the machine to keep the board under the rollers, you need an extra 4 to 6" of board or you could get a board error. If your job is 12" long and you tell it keep it under the rollers you need a board at least 16" long. Could this be your issue?

David,

That is a good question about the under the rollers issue. It is not the problem for two reasons.

1) I incorrectly stated in the list of steps above that I selected yes for stay under rollers. I in fact selected no don't stay under the rollers.

2) The project is defined as 10x10 but the carving is much smaller, maybe 1.5x4. I wanted to position it on the board so I could rotate the board to do multiple samples on the same piece. So in essence I planned the Stay under function myself. Maybe this isn't the best solution but I'm new and learning.

Still I just can't believe it is a crank, roller, tread, or board sensor error since it is capable of measuring the board very precisely.

Joshua

Another thought, have you tried to go back to the computer and reload the job, overright the origninal and try again. I have had errors from the file just not loading quit right. It didn't show an error while writing but there was definitely something buggy and reloading fixed what ever it was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast