Thread: Height of Side Rails on Carving Sled??

Default Height of Side Rails on Carving Sled??

I have a scanning sled with 2 1/4" high side rails. I'd like to use it as a carving sled to carve some 1 1/2" thick blocks of urethane. I noticed in the April '08 Tips & Tricks issue on Carving Sleds that side rails should not be more than 1/4" above the top of the carved surface when using carving sleds. I don't understand why the 1/4" limitation. The Z-truck and chuck never go below the bottom of the compression rollers, and as long as my bit can reach down far enough, what's the problem? What am I overlooking? Help Guys. Joe
    Plea of Insanity for Addiction to ol' H-D Sporters

Hi Joe,

I believe the reason is so that the bit won't hit the side rails when homing. (If the rails are too high above the stock and the z doesn't lift high enough to clear the rails, you have a problem.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael T, good point. I will start with the foam block raised to within 1/4" & observe. The Z axis has almost 2 3/4" travel, which lead to my question in the first place, but I will go slow as not to break a bit and see what the limit might be. I might be able to measure & home without the bit in place, too. Thanx for the fore warning. Regards, Joe

My sled has side rails made from various thichness peices which I hold in place with various lengths of dowel rod. I build height as needed.

Will, seems like a real good idea to use 1 sled for multiple projects. Do you use masking tape to hold the doweled sides rigid? Any chance you could post a picture?
    Joe