Thread: "The Power of Imagination Makes Us Infinite"

Default "The Power of Imagination Makes Us Infinite"

"The Power of Imagination Makes Us Infinite" 22.75" x 29.5" x .75"

With this execution I have taken the HEALING HAND to another dimension. This is 3+ life size and .875” deep.

The Frame is Oak stained with Jocoba and routed to reveal the original oak color and is finished with wax. It's routed with a quote from famed naturalist John Muir… “THE POWER OF IMAGINATION MAKES US INFINITE”. This statement really resounded with me when I considered the scale of the hand to the topology. Almost as if there was some geographic relationship.

The contrast of the perimeters smooth grain as texture was intentionally left and sealed with with 5 layers of Polyurethane while the hand-topology is finished with only hand rubbed wax. The same wood reveals two personalities.

The carving of the hand took about 35 hours and the total time with frame and finishing is about 80 hours total. The inlay of the Turquoise, which represents separation of land by a water feature, took some considerable decision time. I had three options which required 3 different processes to set in place. I chose the least impact and set the stones with Duco Cement. It’s clear, smooth and is quick setting.

I have also used my signature brand to sign the piece. Recently found a quick way to get the brand to temperature and celebrate with a BBQ upon completion once the coals have done their job.

A built-in a beveled hanger accomodates the weight and also doubles for structure tying the two halves. Also used glued pegs for internal structure.

The basic concept was to maximize the compucarve and book match two pieces of Beechwood to incorporate the whole piece into a much larger whole allowing me to continue my experimentation with Human-Topography. There are previous iterations of this hand concept that I'll post if there's any interest from the audience. Let me know.

Thanks for looking,
    Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FinalBIGHand-438x.jpg   Inlaydetail-438x.jpg   DepthDetail-438x.jpg   Muir-438x.jpg  

Back-438x.jpg  
    Last edited by 3DbME; 10-05-2010 at 11:39 AM.

That looks really cool. I can see other things coming to life using that topology method. Would like to see a face done up like that, someone famous. Thanks for posting.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Hello Bruce,

Thank you so much for your posting! Great project. I especially appreciate the provision of your artistic insight, as well as the project details you shared. I look forward to seeing much more of your creative works!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

4. Default

That is a beautiful piece Bruce. Don't know how I missed it for 7 days.