Thread: Board measurement issue

1. Unhappy Board measurement issue

I got a replacement machine for one that was not working well, nad it seems this one has an issue as well.

This problem happens both when measuring a board before attempting to carve and when trying to do a joint / square operation.

The machine finds the lfet edge ok, but moves the piece clear off the right end, never finding the right edge. I get errors: "check tracking roller" and/or "check front roller stuck".
    I can see how I would get both of these errors, because at this point, the board is not in contact with either the tracking roller or the front roller.

I clean the sensor every time and clear the dust out after every project.

Is there something I can do to get rid of this issue?

thanks in advance....

Kirk

I'm not a pro at trouble shooting but I would check and make sure the sensor on the rollers are working and make sure the board is good and flat, and if in doubt use masking tape for the brass roller to ride on.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Default Sensors

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
    I got a replacement machine for one that was not working well, nad it seems this one has an issue as well.

This problem happens both when measuring a board before attempting to carve and when trying to do a joint / square operation.

The machine finds the lfet edge ok, but moves the piece clear off the right end, never finding the right edge. I get errors: "check tracking roller" and/or "check front roller stuck".
    I can see how I would get both of these errors, because at this point, the board is not in contact with either the tracking roller or the front roller.

I clean the sensor every time and clear the dust out after every project.

Is there something I can do to get rid of this issue?

thanks in advance....

Kirk
    If you get a "Roller" error, you need to re-clean the roller sensor area (on the Keyboard side). During/After the cleaning do a sensor check, by lifting and releasing the roller while watching that read-out.

You may also have a board that is long enough that it needs additional support as it exits the machine. Without these, it could lift off the Brass Roller due to the unbalance in weight on one end. I use the 30 inch rule for extra support. I presume that your support wings are adjusted properly!

Another thing that may happen is the same error, if wood is missing in the area from the Board Sensor under the truck. This will cause similar errors, even if it is just a knot of a different color or any discoloration. Tape the length of the board (where the truck travels) will help avoid this error. However, the "Roller Stuck Error" is your biggest/first concern.

Let's see if this tip helps you determine the cause of your error messages.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Capt Kirk,

It must be a Klingon Mind Control Problem..... Get Spock and Scotty on it and just ask for more power..... But remember NEVER be the 4th Crew Member to beam down to the new Planet as 99% of the time the 4th disposable Crew Member gets wasted....

Seriously.... Left and Right... You need to speak the language of CW for us to understand your real machine problem.... The Machine has 3 Axis... Your left to right is really the X Direction or board length. The Y Direction is the real left to right and goes from the keypad to the bit plate. The Z is up and down.....

What everyone above missed is something as simple as asking you how thick the board is? A .5 or 1/2 inch board can SPIT out the end of the machine as you really need to use a board slightly thicker than .5 inches.... Although .5 has worked for some members.... A Carrier Board may be required to make the project you are plannng... You should read the Tips and Tricks to BONE up on all the things you need to know about operating the machine. Your trade in of the machine may have been simple Pilot Error on your part as you did not know how to run the machine. That is what got Sears in trouble with the machine, taking the machines back too easily when it was really operator error. Yes, there were know problems with the earlier machines, but the machine you turned in could have been easily fixed if you had called LHR for a warranty repair part. You will need to get your hands dirty fixing and maintaining this machine. Reading tips and tricks will go a long way to helping you become a good machine operator.

Learn to use the machine diagnostic tools.... The Tri Corder of the machine that is accessed by pressing ZERO for user options and then scrolling down to sensor data..... Look thought the list for later but you want to select BOARD SENSOR....

So back to your problem.... First things first..... Board Detector... Is it working? To find out place a piece of white copy paper into the machine on a board and crank the machine down. A reading of 156 is Excellent.... 90 and you have problems.... The Board Detector has 2 IR LED's or lights and a receiver. It measures reflective light from the board. The paper just gives us a standard to know if the board detector is working as my pine board might be darker then your board.... So we compare apples to apples....

Use Sensor Data to check for a stuck roller too..... A Stuck rear roller will give you the same problem with the board spitting out of the machine when doing the length check as the rear roller releasing then turns on the board detector.... Never Release.... Board spits out..... Use the Tri Corder and check out your machine.

A DARK board could cause the board to spit out.....

A too THIN boards can spit out because the rear roller releases then the board sensor turns on to look for the end of the board. If the board it too thin then it does not work properly....

This is the place to ask questions and use the search using a " " on each side of the topic. EVERY problem you will ever have has been posted and answered hundreds of times here.....

Looks like the problem you are having is Pilot Error.....

With a 200 hour and 1 year warranty, many of us skip the cut off features of the machine and do that with wood working tools. Why waste your warranty doing simple tasks like cut off...

Get into the mind set that you are going to master the machine and the required repairs, it is all part of the CW Experience. Turning in the 5th machine for a new one for simple fixes is just wrong in my opinion and a abuse of the system. It's like turning in your new car because the gas tank is empty....

Welcome,

Get stuck with a problem and frustrated you can always call me... My number in on the bottom of my web page.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-04-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com