Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New Vector Conform feature

One of my other hobbies is shooting. So, I have a Dillon Reloader which has a NO BS WARRANTY FOR LIFE. Even after 20 years with this machine anything, and I mean anything brakes, I call them up and the part is sent free, along with free shipping. Now this reloader only cost me $280 with one sent of dies when I got it. And yes when a spring brakes, they send me a new one. This company has been in business for a very long time and they make money. Just too bad other American companies don't follow this example.

Yes, other customers of Dillon have had to send the complete machine back after years when something was really bad. Guess what, they got a complete NEW MACHINE even after 10-15 years of usage.
    Last edited by Smoken D; 10-06-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoken D View Post
    One of my other hobbies is shooting. So, I have a Dillon Reloader which has a NO BS WARRANTY FOR LIFE. Even after 20 years with this machine anything, and I mean anything brakes, I call them up and the part is sent free, along with free shipping. Now this reloader only cost me $280 with one sent of dies when I got it. And yes when a spring brakes, they send me a new one. This company has been in business for a very long time and they make money. Just too bad other American companies don't follow this example.

Yes, other customers of Dillon have had to send the complete machine back after years when something was really bad. Guess what, they got a complete NEW MACHINE even after 10-15 years of usage.
    In my opinion the reason for this is that the machine is working with EXPLOSIVES and the company wants to protect itself from LIABILITY and sending a NEW machine removes the possibility of a EXPLOSIVE Accident that the Lawyers get to make lots of money over...

Plus they sell a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment and make money selling supplies.... Or at least I believe they would have a stake in you having a working machine so someone is making money on supplies....

Different issue...

Software Development.... It's a new product..... LHR must pick and choose it's battles.... 1.175 is FREE...... The ADD ON's that now work with 1.175.... Well I am OK with paying for it.... If I want it.... The Contour version will save me money in time and make my product more efficiently with it...

Everyone has a OPINION... As long as we remain Calm, Everyone can voice our opinions without offending anyone. Free Speach... On a LHR owned Forum....

This $50.00 helps keep the lights on a LHR and that is a Good Thing....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I've kept out of this thread so far... but I guess I feel compelled to throw my 2 cents out there. I think this time the $50 charge is reasonable... much more so than the simple dxf import filter (althought there are other non-programmer members who disagree). But my main concern is were are we going to be in three or four more years? Will there be 20 "add-ons" ranging in price from $50-$200 to do things than many of us thought the machine should/could do out of the box? It really isnt that far fetched to think that some of us may have to throw and addditional $1000-$2000 dollar in "software add-on's" in the future?. It is starting to feel like we are being nickle & dimed to death. Of course I want the lights to stay on at LHR. It jsut seems to me that "the features" so many of us expresss interest in.. are the same ones that become "add-ons" instead of included in normal software updates.
    Doug Fletcher

I agree..... How about a Add On to add a 3 Axis Sled to do 4 pool Que's or Walking Sticks or Rails 360...... at the same time.... I perdict.... $200.00.... Sled.... $100.00.... Software.... And a Christmas Release....

It's the paint fumes.... 1 AM....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Doug, Yes you made your point on how simple the DXF program was to coad for us non programmers thanks. " insert smile face"
    But my main concern is were are we going to be in three or four more years? Will there be 20 "add-ons" ranging in price from $50-$200 to do things than many of us thought the machine should/could do out of the box? It really isnt that far fetched to think that some of us may have to throw and additional $1000-$2000 dollar in "software add-on's" in the future?. It is starting to feel like we are being nickle & dimed to death.
    Realy? The more I read this the more odd it sounds are you saying that all new work should be scraped because you worry about the overall cost years from now? or just that the program should imagine what users need before it was released 3 years ago?

I use a program as you know called Lightwave for over 20 years now it has 1000's apps some free and some 30.00 to 2400.00 each. Lightwave could never had done the work on Star Trek without the help of the SDK and programs added to the core apps needed and requested.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 10-07-2010 at 04:17 AM.

without the help of the SDK and programs added to the core apps needed and requested.
    Thanks for bringing that up! I would also be just as happy if these released an SDK or even just published a reference doc for their file formats (mpc, mpw, etc). They we could just all write our own add on's as needed.

My main point is althought the "free updates" are nice... at some point (I make no claim as to when that point might be) it does become more cost effective for the user to have "new features" added in the main program and pay an "update/upgrade" fee rather an have to pay for each new feature seperately. And in MY opinion, some of the current add-on should have still be available "out of the box" when we first opened are machines. But I do realize that it is unrealistic to NOT release the core product until all the bells and whistles in the software were complete. It is a new product and development of software and hardware takes time... but LHR bills dont wait. They had to start making money. Im fine with releasing a product before it was "complete". And you can never really fully know how a machine will be used until it gets out in the field. So customer feedback is always important to the development process.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    But my main concern is were are we going to be in three or four more years? Will there be 20 "add-ons" ranging in price from $50-$200 to do things than many of us thought the machine should/could do out of the box? It really isnt that far fetched to think that some of us may have to throw and addditional $1000-$2000 dollar in "software add-on's" in the future?.
    That's the way I see it too. The attraction to the machine for many like myself is that it was pretty much plug and play without having to purchase a million extras. 395 posts to the designer wish list thread - that is a lot of extras to purchase if they're going to start charging for every upgrade item.

This could have been easily added to centerline and they could have upped the cost on that a few dollars, or added to the main package and upped that even less. Sure, there would be no profit on existing owners, but their costs would have been spread across all new owners. Speaking of new owners, I recently had someone come to my house who wanted to see the CW. I talked it up like I always have. I am almost certain he is going to purchase one now. It does great work and it's a great value for an individual, and there is great support here in the forums. I didn't get paid for that, nor did I expect to, but LHR is likely to profit because I liked their product enough to promote it. I'll be less and less inclined to promote the CW if there is going to be $2000 worth of extras, especially if those extras are updates. Truthfully, I'd be less inclined to post projects and patterns here as well. These forums are a great resource, as well as those who choose to post their projects photos on their web site, and even those that have their patterns for sale on the CW site. That is a valuable asset many other companies do not have, I hope LHR considers that when charging for other updates.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-07-2010 at 06:14 AM.

I wouldn't mind paying $50 for a 4-th axis add-on, and maybe $100 for the rotational gismo controlled by it....
    I was happy with the basic model when I received the machine, happy with the free upgrades, and glad that the add-ons were designed and made available for a modest price. Wish everything was free, but those workers who make these things are worthy of their wages; not to mention the risk takers who developed this thing in the first place. The $50 I send (when I have it available) for the conform, may help design the next must-have addition; or pay for a really good lunch!
    Ron

Ron, you are exactly on target in my thinking. I believe those of us who have been able to visit LHR's new or old place of business realize that LHR is not exactly a garage operation but neither is it General Motors. But it has grown and if the economy hadn't taken the dump when it did, perhaps advancement would be faster. Some businesses haven't just had to let some of their workers go, but have gone out of business completely. Hopefully LHR won't be one of those.
    Bob Hill
    Tampa Bay, Florida

Default Vector Conform feature not discounted for Carvers Club afterall

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest Designer version and purchase the Vector Conform since the software was offered at a 10% discount this month for Carvers Club members.

Placed software order in my Cart. Entered the supplied discount code in the box. Paid for the order and submitted same . . . . No discount off the price

Has anyone else in the Carvers Club experienced this from LHR's on line order system?

I've sent a message to Sales but don't know that they will answer or when so I thought I'd enter this gripe here. $4.99 won't buy much anyway but it irks me. Time to go carve conforming vectors on something.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast