Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vector Conform feature

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    I know this point has been made before, but I have seen lots of expensive software packages that you had to pay for updates. Updates are free with designer! Many other software packages charge for additional modules, I don't see any problem with this. Actually I'm happy to pay $50 for the new vector conform feature. However, if it's not worth it to you then you have the option of not buying it.
    I am in a agreement with you Terry 100%. If one is a CARVER CLUB MEMBER this month you can save 10% on this software. Nothing comes free with Auto CAD or many other software I work with.
    I worked with it last night after down loading 1.175 and I am looking forward to getting it some time this month.
    Really opens up many design avenues
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

I will get it when the need arises..$50.00 doesn't bad at all to me agree with the other's on software updates and the charges. Anyways, I have attached a simple book pattern to play around with...has some good curves to test the vector conform.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails book.jpg  
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

John,

Nice Book... Thanks !!!!

The Time Saved for me doing Maltese Crosses will more than pay for it....

I have done BEAR Street Sign or House Numbers but they did not turn out that well... With this is will be a Sinch... And for the Bass, Trout and other Animals.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-05-2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I agree there is no need to disrespectfully complain or use profanity to state our opinion, but if no one voices their opinion good or bad either by stating so here in the forums or by purchasing or not purchasing the software, LHR will not know what their customers feel. They are in business to make money, and they have to choose when and where to make their profit. Regarding other expensive packages charging for all updates and modules - I like my CW a lot and it does fantastic work, but it is not on par with those machines. The CW is not even intended or warranteed for commercial use yet.

Another issue I take with this particular upgrade is LHR was so concerned with any of us tricking the machine into using centerline in a carved region. You'd think they would at least want to include this ability with the centerline text so that it would not be a safety issue with their customers. Even if it worked with just the centerline text and not other vectors.

I upgraded my software so I could try the conform feature in demo mode and it does seem to work fairly well.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-06-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    You know, now that I think about it, my SUV has a hatch door on the rear, but I have to open and close it manually. I think that GM should add the automatic opener and closer that they now offer on their new models. I'll have to see if they'll do that. Thanks for the idea, Griz64.
    Bob Hill
    Not only is that a bit of a stretch, coming from a Mod I'm a little surprised, Bob.

If one of us had made that comment to at least one Mod I can think of, we'd get our hand cyber-slapped.

The so-called "vector conform" option is long overdue. Although it does much more than allow Centerline in a Carve Region, it should have been part of Designer all along, and probably would have been, if LHR had considered it in the beginning, or knew how to make it work.

At the risk of stepping in something I can't clean off my shoe, I started out with 1.126, and have enjoyed all the software upgrades since then, at no charge. I assume they've been at no charge, because those upgrades were implemented to make the machine operate the way it was meant to operate, or operate more efficiently, etc.

Frankly, it irked me a little to have to pay for Centerline in the first place. Seemed a little strange to me that a $2k machine made to do all this stuff couldn't replicate a simple sign that most of us have made with a router, a 60 degree v bit, and a piece of cedar.

I can see paying for the STL importer - that allows the machine to do what we never planned for it to do.

I can't see paying for the Magic Wand tool in PE, it should have been there all along.

We should be able to import a line-drawn image into Designer, assign a v bit to it, and carve it, but can't - oh, wait, I guess we can, if we pay for the DXF add-on.

Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about programming, writing code, etc., and how much cost is involved in doing so. But, it seems to me that when you figure out how to get something to do what it should have been able to do all along, you upgrade the product. When you get something to do what it was never designed to do, you get paid for it.

If your hatch door can be configured to open and close it electrically, you pay to have that upgraded.

If your hatch door isn't working the way it was meant to work, or should work, it gets recalled and fixed once they figure out how to fix it.

(Let's don't argue this point - I was just trying to counter what was an inferior argument made in the first place.)

We want to be able to control the feed rate, should you have to pay for that? ( I know why they don't want us to control it - some or most of us would screw up, destroy something, and try to assign blame).

We want more options in assigning bits - 60v and 90v is great - seems like adding another, say 22.5v would be no harder than the code for the first two - should you have to pay for that?

The ability to "Make Pattern" is great, should you have to pay for that?

Been ranting, but my point is that I've been fooling my machine to do something it really should have been able to do all along, now I got to pay for that?

It's not the $50 as much as it is feeling like I'm paying extra for the ketchup on my hamburger.

No disrespect to anyone, LHR and Bob included.

I'm just saying.........
    Last edited by cnsranch; 10-06-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Jerry,

Well stated and I agree 100%. $100.00 for the Centerline Text and have to paid another $50.00 to make it work properly. That's one of those things that make you go Hmm.

Also the STL export and the Demo Mode that they added to the current version was a very nice added feature to the software. Thanks LHR

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Not only is that a bit of a stretch, coming from a Mod I'm a little surprised, Bob.

I'm just saying.........
    Sorry for using what I thought might be a lighter, but comparitive idea to explain why charging for an upgrade is different than a "no charge" update. I suspect if I had used other software as a more definitive example, it might have been better (like upgrades features to Adobe PhotoShop, etc for an added price) as compared to the free updates that are made free to existing versions of that product. It would be very nice to get upgrades free, but then few businesses can stay in business, especially today, if they can't make a profit. Bye the way, moderator's are NOT paid employees of LHR. We are actually just customers like yourself.
    Bob Hill
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Last edited by BobHill; 10-06-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: reduce quote size

I suspect if I had used other software as a more definitive example, it might have been better (like upgrades features to Adobe PhotoShop, etc for an added price) as compared to the free updates that are made free to existing versions of that product.
    Agreed - but if Adobe sold you a product that wouldn't/couldn't apply reds, and then figured out how, they wouldn't charge you for that fix.

Bye the way, moderator's are NOT paid employees of LHR. We are actually just customers like yourself.
    Bob Hill
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Understood - you couldn't PAY me to be a Mod - thankless job, way too much work, and my fuse is too short to deal with the stuff you guys deal with.

You are held to a higher standard than we are, though, because you work to see that we behave ourselves.

Problem with the written word is that you can't see the guy's tongue planted firmly in his cheek when he makes a comment. There's always the risk of coming across as "Don't do as I do, do as I say".
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Jerry, PCW,

Conform line was designed over a year ago not for Centerline owners! but TADA!, to cut guitars frets! also to make inlay on rasters just so happens that it kicks for centerline 2, so hold the mustard.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 10-06-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    so hold the mustard.
    Actually, I referred to ketchup, but mustard will work.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast