Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know how to trick the probe into exceeding its height limitation?

Default Does anyone know how to trick the probe into exceeding its height limitation?

I am trying to scan an object with the probe. It is a statue of a lions head (from the front)
    The problem is that, when it scans down the mouth, the housing of the probe hits and I get a z-axis error. (i.e. if the probe had a longer point on it, it would work just fine.)
    I know that this might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how I might trick the probe into working with this...is there any way to lengthen the probe point?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbull View Post
    I am trying to scan an object with the probe. It is a statue of a lions head (from the front)
    The problem is that, when it scans down the mouth, the housing of the probe hits and I get a z-axis error. (i.e. if the probe had a longer point on it, it would work just fine.)
    I know that this might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how I might trick the probe into working with this...is there any way to lengthen the probe point?
    I would probably stick some sort of filler in his mouth, if I could. The probe needs something to give it resistance.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Actually let me rephrase...it isnt when the probe goes into the mouth...it is as it goes down the side of the muzzle...scanning the rest of the face.
    I was wondering if anyone has been able to somehow lengthen the probe to acheive this.

Thank you for this reply and the others...good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by rickbull View Post
    Actually let me rephrase...it isnt when the probe goes into the mouth...it is as it goes down the side of the muzzle...scanning the rest of the face.
    I was wondering if anyone has been able to somehow lengthen the probe to acheive this.

Thank you for this reply and the others...good stuff
    There are plastic probe tips, in the CW Store. They may add about 1/4 inch, but you will also loose some of the fine detail as the plastic tip is not as pointed.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

i've even stacked two of the glue tips on it to get by.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158990.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	38608Here is what they are talking about.

Depending on the type you can loose a bit of the detail if you do not have a fine point, but too fine a point and it will start to bend causing other problems. Make sure you also do not overdue the way you attach it to your probe by overgluing it.
    I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

I use these same glue tips on my probe, found them for a couple of bucks at Hobby Lobby.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Guess my question is, extending the probe is needed for what reason? If the probe can't scan it will the carver be able to carve it??
    If the depth is to much for the probe to clear then will it be of use to 'trick it". Very interested in what you are scanning and if the
    lengthening helps.
    Good luck,
    Rick H

Default Editor

Quote Originally Posted by want2b View Post
    Guess my question is, extending the probe is needed for what reason? If the probe can't scan it will the carver be able to carve it??
    If the depth is to much for the probe to clear then will it be of use to 'trick it". Very interested in what you are scanning and if the
    lengthening helps.
    Good luck,
    Rick H
    When you bring the scan into Editor, you may lower/change the depth.
    AskBudClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PE Depth change.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	38609
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

You can cast a mold of the lion's head in some type of plaster, then slice it so you can scan the muzzle separately from the rest of the face, since you will probably want to carve it that way, anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast