Thread: CarveTight spindle or Rock Chuck?

Default CarveTight spindle or Rock Chuck?

Is there a difference between the carveTight spindle and Rock Chuck?
    if so what are the main differences.
    I know they are made by two different people.
    I need to upgrade, is one better than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by bayea View Post
    Is there a difference between the carveTight spindle and Rock Chuck?
    if so what are the main differences.
    I know they are made by two different people.
    I need to upgrade, is one better than the other?

You'll probably get many different opinions one this. Both are far superior to the QC Chuck. On paper the carvetight should have a slight edge over the Rock since it is a one piece spindle design. However, there have never been side by side measuments done and published so it is anyones guess. I still favor the rock as it is the more flexible solution when it comes to bits. With the CT, you need to purchase the 1/8 cutting and 1/16 carving bit from LHR as they require a pressed on sleeve. With the rock, as long as you have the proper split sleeve, you are free to use 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 shaft bits from which ever vendor you choose. Ron, the maker of the Rock chuck, has stated that the rock is nearly perfectly balanced. This translates directly in to a quieter and smoother machine. Early report we saw on the CT said the sound level was lower, but it didnt appear to be nearly as much as most Rock users reported.

Whatever you decide, you should see a dramtic improvement in carve quality. I dont think there is a wrong chioce there. Replace the QC and be happy.
    Doug Fletcher

ROCK, nuff said.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Doug is correct,in that both are good choices.
    The only kicker would be "if you have had any problem with your Z-truck, you would probably be better off getting the Carve Tight as it is within a new Z-truck, and comes with new bearings".
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I've been gone for a bit so I feel behind on the basic question. I have the complete bit set from Carvewright. Can I use them on either the Rock or the Carvetight? I'd like to update but don't want to lose the ability to use the bits I have.

CW requires that the 1/16 carving and the 1/8 Cutting bits have a Pressed collar. This is for your, and the machines, protection.
    AskBud
    See this thread.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...645#post127645
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I've been gone for a bit so I feel behind on the basic question. I have the complete bit set from Carvewright. Can I use them on either the Rock or the Carvetight? I'd like to update but don't want to lose the ability to use the bits I have.
    that was another question i had. if i get the CT will i have to get all new bits? i understand i would have to get new 1/16 & 1/8" bits, but would i have to get the other bits with the correct collet for the CT.

and
    with the Rock i could use all my current bits that i have used with the quick-change chuck. correct ??

one thing i believe is that i would get much better customer service from Ron than i would from CW.

Quote Originally Posted by bayea View Post
    that was another question i had. if i get the CT will i have to get all new bits? i understand i would have to get new 1/16 & 1/8" bits, but would i have to get the other bits with the correct collet for the CT.

and
    with the Rock i could use all my current bits that i have used with the quick-change chuck. correct ??

one thing i believe is that i would get much better customer service from Ron than i would from CW.
    You are correct, in that all bits appear to work properly in the Rock Chuck system (with the proper split collet(s)). There is more than one Rock choice.

All bits except for the 1/16 carving and the 1/8 Cutting Bits will work in the CarveTight, as those two have carbide shanks which the CT Assembly can not grip well enough. You do need at least one 1/4 inch split collet for the other 1/4 inch, shank, bits in your collection. The 1/2 shanks fit directly into the CT.
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 09-06-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv