Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Rock Chuck is there service

Default Need advice on Rock Chuck is there service

I ordered a rock chuck on 8-18-10 and recieved it on about 8-22-10.
    I installed it 2 days later. I have only been using round shaft bits. I am doing a project with a dead line. On 9-2-10 I have emailed Ron twice, with my email address & phone number and posted here for help. I want to thank the two that tried to me about help. I think is the cam inside that bad. On 9-01-10 I took out the carving bit bought from Ron and went to install a 1/2"x 1/4" shaft bull nose in the cuck and it wouldn't go in. This morning I removed the rock chuck's bottom end and it appears the cam or what ever is inside won't retract like it should. I don't feel I should go porbing inside the chuck, I already put small mark in it.
    I am worried that I have made approx. a $420.00 mistake with the chuck & bits.
    For 9 days use.
    Thanks Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by cgittins View Post
    I ordered a rock chuck on 8-18-10 and recieved it on about 8-22-10.
    I installed it 2 days later. I have only been using round shaft bits. I am doing a project with a dead line. On 9-2-10 I have emailed Ron twice, with my email address & phone number and posted here for help. I want to thank the two that tried to me about help. I think is the cam inside that bad. On 9-01-10 I took out the carving bit bought from Ron and went to install a 1/2"x 1/4" shaft bull nose in the cuck and it wouldn't go in. This morning I removed the rock chuck's bottom end and it appears the cam or what ever is inside won't retract like it should. I don't feel I should go porbing inside the chuck, I already put small mark in it.
    I am worried that I have made approx. a $420.00 mistake with the chuck & bits.
    For 9 days use.
    Thanks Charlie
    I'm sorry to hear you have run in to some difficulties with your Rock. Ron has always been pretty quick at responding so I'm guessing he may be out of town or something. When you say "only round bit shafts" are you saying the dont have a flat anywhere on the shaft? Which rock do you have... the 1/4" or the 1/2"? Are you using any sleeves? I know I have read posts before where Ron recommends loosening the bolt a few turn and then pushing in on the head with the hex tool which should allows you to insert a bit. Make sure you check for burrs if you accidently alligned the rock on a flat. I have rocks on both of my machines and it is easily the best replacement part I ever used on my machines. I'm sure once you get your problems resolved you will join the many many many happy rock users on the forum. I am positive the $420 you invested was money very well spent.

All in all almost ALL of the rock issues have been from new users not fulling understanding the proper orientation of the flats and sleaves in relationship to the hex head. I was also in that group until Ron posted a few pics of exactly how they should be alligned. I have not had a lick of trouble with either of my two rocks since.

If you have not seen this thread, I would reccommend reading it. It has lots of useful info on the Rock. It also has the two pictures Ron posted about alignment.

http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,169,833
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 09-03-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: typos
    Doug Fletcher

I installed a rock one week after owning my machine and have not had any of the "typical" problems - ever.

However, I too recently ordered a 1/2"-3/8" sleeve on Ron's site and have not heard back either. I have emailed twice and messaged him here but still no reply...

Where are ya Ron? We need you!
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

No Mistake in spending the money..... Operator Error.... If you have installed the 1/8 inch cutting bit in the Rock Chuck and was not careful not to let the Rock Wedge lock on a flat spot then we have the problem.

The wedge has a burr in it caused by clamping down on the flat spot in the 1/8 inch cutting bit.

You need to remove the chuck and the screw. Then tap the wedge out and using a file or grinding stone carefully remove the burr....

Any chance you 1/2 inch bit has a 8 mm shaft where you think it is a 1/4 inch.....?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Have only used the 1/4" shaft carving bit I bought from Ron & a 1/4" shaft round nose bit. No flat spots on any of the bits shafts I,ve used.
    I think there something wrong with cam inside. It doesn't recess all the way, haven't used any sleeves yet.
    I have not heard from Ron yet.
    I don't know how it could be operator error just putting a bit in the chuck.
    Thanks
    Charlie

Time to remove the wedge and inspect it. Ron has a day job and it could take a while to get in touch with you.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by cgittins View Post
    Have only used the 1/4" shaft carving bit I bought from Ron & a 1/4" shaft round nose bit.
    Just for clarification then you have the 1/4 rock with an 1/8 sleeve that you havn't used yet. And you have only used two 1/4 shaft bits your purchased from Ron. Is that correct? I agree with Al.. at this point it's time to look at the wedge.
    Doug Fletcher

Doug
    Yes I have only used 1/4" shafts in the rock chuck.
    And it appears I am not the only one waiting to hear from Ron.
    I also don't feel is not my job to start banging around inside the chuck. I don't have any idea how it is put together
    and feel at this point all I can do is ruin something. Then it is my fault.

Ok, thanks for the clarifications. I'm sure Ron will respond as soon as he is able.
    Once you get your issue resolved, I'm sure you are going to wonder how your lived without the Rock for so long.
    Doug Fletcher

Hi Guys,
    It looks like i have some catching up to do. I was on an extended camping vacation in the mountains of West Virginia, and had no cell, or internet connections.. Very frustrating since I took everything needed to do business on the road, but very relaxing on the other hand!... I contacted and took care of Charlies problem last week, and yes it was a burr on the clamp nut. Not quite sure where it came from, but thats all it was. And the reccomendation of gently tapping the locknut out the back and filing off any burrs was right on...

Thanks for helping while i was out!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast