Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant Load bit into Rock.

Default Cant Load bit into Rock.

First let me say that if this has been discussed before I apologize. I am having trouble getting my 1/8 cutting bit to load into the rock chuck. It will only go about 1/8 of an inch then stops. I have collars on my bits and have had no problems loading bits until the last couple days. I have tried turning and wiggling the bit slightly but it wont go any further. I also tried a new bit but got the same results. My 1/16 carving bit loads fine. I took the chuck off, cleaned and lubricated inside the bit insertion shaft before I started this evenings carve. I used a cleaner/lubrication spray called "Strong Arm". Anyway when it came time to load the cutting bit, it would not go. I know that this is most likely user error. My rock is still in perfect shape.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also just noticed I put this post under the wrong area. I ment this to be under troubleshooting. Enough damage for one day...I'm going to bed.............
    Last edited by STEAM; 08-23-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Error in posting
    Gimme Steam.

I'm not the expert on the Rock, but you need to make sure you have the Rock bit tightener oriented correctly -- if it is rotated wrong in the hole, it can block the hole.

Because the 1/8 inch bit has a flat spot on it, the bit must be loaded so the round area of the bit is in the area of the Rock Chuck lock. If the bit it turned and the rock wedge tries to lock on the flat spot it will cause a burr to be made by the rock lock. Inspect the bit for a burr...

When you remove the chuck, remove the Rock locking wedge and install the bit. LOOK at where the Rock lock will touch the bit. If your depth stop makes the bit stop to where the flat spots are on the Rock Lock then you should move the locking ring. I had to move my lock ring to the area where the cutting flutes started....

Contact Ron if you still have problems.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by nu2carvin View Post
    First let me say that if this has been discussed before I apologize. I am having trouble getting my 1/8 cutting bit to load into the rock chuck. It will only go about 1/8 of an inch then stops. I have collars on my bits and have had no problems loading bits until the last couple days. I have tried turning and wiggling the bit slightly but it wont go any further. I also tried a new bit but got the same results. My 1/16 carving bit loads fine. I took the chuck off, cleaned and lubricated inside the bit insertion shaft before I started this evenings carve. I used a cleaner/lubrication spray called "Strong Arm". Anyway when it came time to load the cutting bit, it would not go. I know that this is most likely user error. My rock is still in perfect shape.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also just noticed I put this post under the wrong area. I ment this to be under troubleshooting. Enough damage for one day...I'm going to bed.............
    Here is some great info from Ron he posted year. The Rock is the only way to carve!

I have had a few more comments come up about the proper loading of tools, so i am posting here as well...

When you insert either a tool, or sleeve, please point either the slit in the sleeve, or the flat on the tool towards the hex in the clamp screw. (this is where you insert the "T" handle to tightnen up or loosen the bits).. This will insure that you are clamping in the optimum spot (not on a slit, and not on a flat)... If you happen to clamp in one of the flats, it can kick up a small burr on the clamp nut that will cause the clamp to not want to release properly. If this happens, simply remove the screw from the clamp nut, and push it out with the "T" handle wrench through the screw hole. If it has a big burr on it you may have to use something to tap on the "T" handle. Once you get it out, just take a file and work the burr off, then re assemble. The clamp nut should slide in freely. You can then slide a tool up into the bit adapter, and rotate the clamp nut until it engages the tool. You will know it is correct when the arc that is ground on the outside of the clamp nut is flush with the outside of the bit adapter. You can then put the screw back into the locknut, and tighten up as usual.
    If you ever run into a situation where the bit doesnt want to release, just loosen up the screw one or two full turns, and push on the head of the screw with the "T" handle... This will always push the locknut back to allow for removal. If it is really stubborn, just tap on the head of the screw...

If you have any questions about this... Please feel free to contact me...

Happy Carving,

Ron

For a current list, and to order custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see [www.cw-parts.com]
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action! [www.youtube.com]
    See the Rock install video at [www.youtube.com]

Flat orientation.jpg

Slit orientation.JPG
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Ron,

I get this sometimes where a picture shows up as a red X.... Does anyone know why this happens? Is it my version of Internet Explorer? Any settings?

Even got it for a "Type in this to validate a contact form"....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for answering the questions while i have been away. The quote in Post #4 is exactly the way to go. I will post pictures tonight when i get home, to replace the pictures that will not open.

Al,
    The red X signifies that it doesnt want to open the picture. Sometimes you can right click on the "X" and click on open picture, and it will display. Sometimes it doesnt... Evidently the link is broken. I will re-post them tonight.

Thanks again,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Here are the pictures that didnt show up in Post #4 above. The one on the left shows the orientation of a flat facing the hex in the clamp screw. The one on the right shows the orientation of a sleeve, again, pointing towards the hex in the clamp screw. By orienting as shown, you keep the clamp nut from clamping on a flat, and in the case of the sleeve, you are ensuring that you clamp in the direction that the sleeve can collapse.

Hope this helps!

Ron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flat orientation.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	38194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slit orientation.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	38193
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Thank you everyone for your quick response. I took the chuck apart today and found a rather sizable burr on the clamp nut. I haven't been watching close enough when I used the cutting bit and was definitely clamping on the flat area. I now have a fairly large v shape where the burr was and its still is giving me problems. My question now is, Can the clamp nut be flipped to use the other end as the clamping end. I see that both ends are similar in the bevel. Would this be dangerous to use it this way?
    Gimme Steam.

I would file the burr off and continue on smartly...

As for switching it... I would say no.... Can't work due to the Shoulder for the screw.

On my next order from Ron I plan to buy some extra screws and wedge nuts....

What happened is you clamped on a flat spot.... How do I know that..... Yes, I did the SAME THING at first...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-24-2010 at 10:16 PM.

I am ordering a new nut from Ron. I want to be safe for my sake and the CW. Thanks Al.
    Gimme Steam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast