Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Machine just stopped

I have finally found the problem of my machine just stoping!!
    One of the brush slide connectors slid off the brush post!

In doing so I found that the top cover of the motor is cracked and needs replacement. I don't see that individual part in the catalog. Can one get just the cover of the motor?

I have also discovered another problem and will post as a new subject.

I want to thank everyone that chimed in on my machine problem!
    Thanks so much!
    Ray

Good Job fixing the Cut Motor....

Now for the Case..... Well W A Y back in October 2007 I had TWO Cut Motors that had Fractured End Caps, the Flex End.... I fixed one after taking pictures with JB Weld. You could find my old posts if you look. I sent the pictures to LHR and it peeked the interest of a Engineer and he actually CALLED ME..... He asked if I could send him what ended up to be 2 Cut Motors, both with damage. I remember now talking to the Engineer and my thinking was that my High Hour machine was seeing something that others might see in MASS.... So I boxed up the 2 Cut Motors and sent them to him, asking to get replacements or the same motors back. One was fixed the other He wanted before I fixed it... I think the Engineer asked me to keep a low profile about the failure and I may not have posted much about it.....

I honestly thought we were going to see some serious plastic fatigue and this would be a pretty serious problem....

It ended up to be a very limited problem, and in retrospect, I am willing to bet that the damage was caused by the flex shaft being stuffed into the Shipping Box.... OR some over stressing of the flex shaft... I Highly Recommend shipping the CW with the Flex removed from the Cut Motor.....

Calls and emails to Michael asking about the Cut Motors never resulted in getting them back.... About Two Years later I believe, Omar took over Maintenance and was reviewing my file and called me about the Cut Motors.... I told him the story and gave him the dates as the Pictures show a date of Oct 1, 2007. He promised to look into the Cut Motors.... Never heard anything.....

SO... Since LHR LYNN is Lurking on the board and offering great advice.... Can you look into the Cut Motors..... Cut Motors have ALWAYS been in Short Supply so I have never in the past pushed this... Knowing that not many motors were at LHR. I put stickers on the Motors and Off they went....

A few Months ago someone here had a similar Cut Motor Stalling Problem and found a burnt wire inside the cut motor..... He bought a new motor from LHR and I saw the posting and offered to BUY the Cut Motor from him for the plastic case and to look at the burnt wire for the CORE CHARGE..... Well the Stator was SHORTED.... That is why the wire burned.... I compared 2 motors side by side.... So I have a spare case for my 4 machines....

Stator Wires are coated with a Insulating Material like Varnish. That lets the wires touch each other while being wound very tight. If the insulation of 2 Turns of the motor get damaged then they short together. So a 100 turn stator gets a short between Winding 10 and 90.... The path of least resistance and the 100 turns has now become Turns 1 thought 10 and 90 thought 100..... A 20 Turn Coil.... That will draw MORE Current and hence the burnt wire....

Thanks,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06758_WEB.jpg   DSC06741_WEB.jpg   DSC06742_WEB.jpg   DSC06744_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al:

Omar is looking into the issue of returning your cut motors again. Although, finding YOUR cut motors after 3 years....I'm not holding my breath! (last notes on your account are from 9/2009 about that issue; notes say he called and left a message; then sent an email).

Don't go starting conspiracy theories about our cut motors! I wasn't here in 2007, but I don't believe cracked cut motors was any thing more than a few isolated cases. The engineers are looking to see, if there is a commonality among the cut motor issues being posted more recently.

LURKING!!! - I'm lurking?!? Yeah, and on my days off, too!! I prefer to think I am "participating in the forum" or better yet..."providing excellent customer service above and beyond the call of duty". (wink!)

I'm no hardware tech, so don't expect me to help you out there. You start talking about Stators or coils and paths of least resistance; then my eyes glaze over and I'm lost!

Al: YOU ARE THE GURU OF THE CW!!!

lynnfrwd,
    Are we going to be able to get just the outside covers or are we forced to purchase an entire motor?
    Ray

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I prefer to think I am "participating in the forum" or better yet..."providing excellent customer service above and beyond the call of duty". (wink!)
    We appreciate it. I don't think I have ever seen the forum run this smoothly, and things actually are getting done!! Good work.

Lynn and Omar,

Thank you again for the Great Customer Support. No I don't expect to get the same motors back and Time has shown that my 2 cut motors were more than likely a case of the flex being torqued. One motor was from my Warranty Machine after it ran out of warranty. That machine made 2 trips to LHR and has more Flier miles than I do...

The second one was from a frustrated Sears Store Manager who sold me the machine as it was broken and missing stuff from the box.... It had been an abused child and was pretty beat up..... It now has a happy home with 3 other Machines...

Thank,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    We appreciate it. I don't think I have ever seen the forum run this smoothly, and things actually are getting done!! Good work.
    Ditto on that.... Good job Lynn!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123