Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Board Sensor Problems???

Default Board Sensor Problems???

I recently acquired a used machine and am trying to get it to work. Keep getting "Clear Board Sensor" errors and "can't find edge" error 400. Sensor readings are only between 50's and 70's and dropped to 40's when I put a piece of white paper on top of board. I have cleaned the sensor many times with no results. Any suggestions??

When cleaning have you tried to remove the clear plastic window to clean behind it? In the early units this was not really sealed so fine dust had a way of getting behind the lense. I dont recommend this for all, but on mine i just completely removed the window and have not had a lick of trouble since.

Also if you remove the window you can see if one of the two leds emitter leds has broke off. Other have found one rattling around in the housing. If you have a video camera, while youhave the sensor unmmounted but still connected, you can do to sensor check, point the video camera at the sesnor and you will see the IR leds in the camera. They shouldl be glowing bright white on the video camera screen. We can not see IR light, but almost all video cameras have no problem with that wave length. (most new digitial still cameras also have the this ability as well if they have a lcd screen that can be used as the viewfinder)
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 08-18-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Doug Fletcher

You have 2 choices... Buy a new "Improved" Sensor.... They run a thin film of epoxy around the parameter of the board sensor circuit board that 1. holds the board firmly to the black plastic holder preventing the LED's from snapping off. and 2 help to keep dust from getting inside the LED window.

OR.... Take a knife and slice down the back of the sensor removing the bump on the back. If one LED's falls off the board I would not be surprised then you need a new sensor. If both LED's are solid then you can remove the plastic window easily without damage after the back is removed and clean it.

I used masking tape to hold the window in place and seal the back. I have one still going since 7/2008 with NO Errors... MASKING TAPE.... The NEW DUCK TAPE.... Quack...

And I LOVE the Camera idea..... I bet the IR LED's will show up in a Digital Still Camera too.... GREAT TIP !!!!

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC09540_WEB.jpg   DSC08509_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-18-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks for the suggestions....I removed the window with no problem and am getting a sensor reading of 108 with a pine board and 146 with a white piece of paper but still getting "clear board sensor" error message. I think I've had it messing around with this machine. There are too many things I don't understand about it..I think I will probably try to sell it.

Default Clear Board Sensor

I know this has been brought up many times. I just started getting this message. Trying to run a project, the head goes to the left and stops at keyboard end, stay under rollers?, No, (I am using a sled with 4-1/2" on each end). Head moves 2-1/2" to the right, stops and I get message. I have cleaned the board sensor, removed it and installed a new sensor, put a new sensor cable on and still get the same message. What do I try now?

Quote Originally Posted by coop2739 View Post
    I know this has been brought up many times. I just started getting this message. Trying to run a project, the head goes to the left and stops at keyboard end, stay under rollers?, No, (I am using a sled with 4-1/2" on each end). Head moves 2-1/2" to the right, stops and I get message. I have cleaned the board sensor, removed it and installed a new sensor, put a new sensor cable on and still get the same message. What do I try now?
    Are there voids between the sled and the wood (where the sensor passes)?
    If so, have you placed a strip of one inch masking tape across that line of travel? Voids can mess up the readings from time to time. I usually determine both lines of travel and tape both ways, whenever I have voids, or change in the color of the wood.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default Board Sensor Problems

I have strips of tape across the board. The machine doesn't get to the point where it moves in "x" direction. Just stops 2-1/2" in as it is suppose to measure the width of the board. I checked the sensor reading many times and it reads between 105 and 112.

Quote Originally Posted by coop2739 View Post
    I have strips of tape across the board. The machine doesn't get to the point where it moves in "x" direction. Just stops 2-1/2" in as it is suppose to measure the width of the board. I checked the sensor reading many times and it reads between 105 and 112.
    It measures the width first then the length. Is there anything unusual, on the board or sled at this point (v/s solid surface?
    I'm sending you a PM as well.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

I have had to same problem for a while, I ordered the NEW SENSOR and have the same problem, I put a white paper under the sensor and only reads between 4 and 9, that is the second sensor.
    what else could be the problem outside of the wiring harness needs to be replace, hmmmm don't have the tools to do that or the know how.
    can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by DustyUsr View Post
    I have had to same problem for a while, I ordered the NEW SENSOR and have the same problem, I put a white paper under the sensor and only reads between 4 and 9, that is the second sensor.
    what else could be the problem outside of the wiring harness needs to be replace, hmmmm don't have the tools to do that or the know how.
    can you help?
    I would think, that if you get any reading, the wiring must be OK.
    If you have placed a new sensor, I would presume that the sensor cover is new as well.
    Did you replace this part because LHR suggested it, or did you do it on suspicion?
    I would call LHR for advice.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast