Thread: lubrication

Red face lubrication

Hello,

I am having very good results with my machine. I am lubing the flexshaft with the chain oil with moly, the posts with lithium grease, and the rollers on the up and down (Y & Z) with 3 in on oil.

One question, the (spindle bearings - I think) chuck and bearings that the bit goes into and the flex shaft goes into must need lubing.

What type of lube should I use, and how should I lube it?

I have a C Model machine.
    Last edited by icauto; 08-14-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icauto View Post
    Hello,

I am having very good results with my machine. I am lubing the flexshaft with the chain oil with moly, the posts with lithium grease, and the rollers on the up and down (Y & Z) with 3 in on oil.

One question, the (spindle bearings - I think) chuck and bearings that the bit goes into and the flex shaft goes into must need lubing.

What type of lube should I use, and how should I lube it?

I have a C Model machine.
    I think you will find that the CarveTight Assembly is a "Sealed Unit".
    The warning is to avoid allowing the lube from the Flex Shaft to penetrate the spindle (this was also true for the QC Shaft Assembly) as the lube will ruin the factory provided lube and the bearings.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Yes, the Spindle Bearings dislike any lubricant and the Moly oil getting in from the top and cause the ceramic bearings to heat up. It's like that new cooking commercial I saw on TV the other day using a kitchen blender to make hot soup.... Letting it beat long enough to product heat and cook the vegtables....

So no oil on the spindle bearings.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I would not use 3-in-One oil on the inside of the CW...it builds up, attracts sawdust and will eventually cause a problem.

I use Boeshield T-9 spray lube. I spray just a dab on a cotton cloth and wipe down the rails...and the posts.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

I've only used dry lube on my rails and corner posts, do not collect dust at all, goes on easy and have never had a problem with my head.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    I've only used dry lube on my rails and corner posts, do not collect dust at all, goes on easy and have never had a problem with my head.

CJ
    CarverJerry ... also a very good way to lubricate !
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President