Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: depth of the center line lettering

Default depth of the center line lettering

I want to do some lettering on 1/4" corian. I am going to attach it to a 1/4" base sled, just tape them together for support. This will give me about a 1/2" thickness overall. My question is, will cw adjust the depth of the lettering using a 60 deg "v" bit to the 1/4" corian or the 1/2" total thickness of the sled? I don't want a deep lettering, just a lite lettering.

any input would be great.

Myshop
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    I want to do some lettering on 1/4" corian. I am going to attach it to a 1/4" base sled, just tape them together for support. This will give me about a 1/2" thickness overall. My question is, will cw adjust the depth of the lettering using a 60 deg "v" bit to the 1/4" corian or the 1/2" total thickness of the sled? I don't want a deep lettering, just a lite lettering.

Myshop
    Center line carving has nothing to do with the width of the board. It carves on the width of the lines of the type stile you chose. The “60 degree V" bit will carve deeper than the 90 degree bit. If you use bold type it may go deeper than 1/4th inch.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post

Myshop
    Hello Myshop,

Way back in Designer version 1.131, the feature was added where the user can choose between the Project thickness or the measured board thickness...obviously, you will want to choose "Project" when prompted at the machine during setup so that the machine won't add the thickness of the sled and material together. By selecting "project" the machine will use the 1/4" thickness as you laid it out in the software, and will ignore the measured thickness. Here is the Tips & Tricks link that goes over the use of that great feature: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...cks_Sept08.pdf (see pages 3 through 5)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Centerline testing

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    Center line carving has nothing to do with the width of the board. It carves on the width of the lines of the type stile you chose. The “60 degree V" bit will carve deeper than the 90 degree bit. If you use bold type it may go deeper than 1/4th inch.
    Myshop,
    let's expand on BJ's thoughts.
    We can not, manually, control the depth of carve that Centerline applies.
    That being said, we may control/select how centerline is applied by several processes.
    1) The "lighter" and "thinner' the Font, the less deep the carve.
    2) The larger the size of the text, the deeper the carve.
    3) If we wish to, further, limit/control the depth of the text we may use the concepts shown in the lesson titled "Centerline Test" in my "Download" section below.

In the case of Corian, we could "raise" our rails the desired height to provide the recess needed to accomplish the desired result.
    As stated in another reply, " Set your design to the thickness of the corian, and select to carve the project rather than the board."

I would suggest that you run comprehensive tests on wood prior to actually working on the Corian.
    Cautions:
    A) Make your rails wide enough that the initial "touch down" on the bit is on the rail rather than the Corian.
    B) Secure your Corian so it not only is held down, but can not move latterally or horizontally as well.

Since I have not carved Corian, hopefully, other users who have used centerline on Corian will add their input.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Another trick to get thinner/shallower depth would be to design in designer and select the 90 deg bit, when you run the project in the CW/CC when it ask for the 90 deg bit, put a 60 deg bit in.
    Good luck
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

You dare to lie to your machine???? If it works there must be some forgiveness. Jerry

Smile

Ha! I think the original question was misunderstood by a couple folks...the OP was not asking about manually controlling the actual centerline depth itself...he simply wanted to know whether the centerline depth would be properly calculated for on the Corian stock thickness of 1/4" or if the machine would calculate the carve depth at the combined thickness of his sled and Corian stock. (The answer was given in post #3 above)

NOTE: actually, the sled thickness won't affect the centerline depth anyhow, but it is good to get in the habit/knowledge of the choice of "Project" or "Board" when using a sled anyway, for future projects that may require cutpath cut outs.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-05-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I'll run a test and get back to everyone later.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    I'll run a test and get back to everyone later.
    AskBud
    Whatcha testing??
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Default centerline test on 1/4 stock

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Ha! I think the original question was misunderstood by a couple folks...the OP was not asking about manually controlling the actual centerline depth itself...he simply wanted to know whether the centerline depth would be properly calculated for on the Corian stock thickness of 1/4" or if the machine would calculate the carve depth at the combined thickness of his sled and Corian stock. (The answer was given in post #3 above)

NOTE: actually, the sled thickness won't affect the centerline depth anyhow, but it is good to get in the habit/knowledge of the choice of "Project" or "Board" when using a sled anyway, for future projects that may require cutpath cut outs.
    Micheal,
    I designed this test on .250 stock and ran it through the machine, and I found the following.
    1) The machine did not prompt "Run project or Board". I cross checked several times to be sure.
    2) I understan the text is larger than most would use on Corian, however, we could be dealing with an "Exit" type sign and wish the large text size.
    3) The larger the text size (depending upon the Font) the more it will exceed the thickness of the thin project board.
    4) It would appear that a pure Centerline project will not be altered by the thickness of the design board alone.

Feel free to cross check my test made with version 1.153.
    I, again, suggest that the user run a test on wood prior to attempting the Centerline carve in Corian.
    AskBud
    Centerline test on thin stock.mpc
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast