Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue up is killing me!

BJB
    Thanks for sharing those jigs and the sink cutout info, what a great use for something that would other wise hit the landfill.
    Have a great day!
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Are you edge gluing to get a wider board, or face gluing to get a thicker board?
    Sorry, I guess I don't have all the terminology down yet. I am face gluing to get a thicker board.

I am actually trying to glue three cutouts together that have already been carved. A front carve, a middle spacer, and a back carve.

Thanks,
    Craig

Thanks again everyone for all the great tips and jigs. I am learning something new on every project, so I suppose that's good LOL.

Craig

Just a thought Craig, depending on how much accuracy you need,and how your project is assembled; you may be able to design your patterns so the CW drilled a shallow dowel hole in each layer to hold them in place as you clamp them.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Sorry, I guess I don't have all the terminology down yet. I am face gluing to get a thicker board.

I am actually trying to glue three cutouts together that have already been carved. A front carve, a middle spacer, and a back carve.

Thanks,
    Craig
    Craig,
    On of the tips posted on this topic " making thicker boards and keeping from slipping" is to put a few very fine pieces of sand/grit onto one of the boards in the glue. When the boards are placed together the sand will keep the boards from shifting as you clamp them up....
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Craig,
    On of the tips posted on this topic " making thicker boards and keeping from slipping" is to put a few very fine pieces of sand/grit onto one of the boards in the glue. When the boards are placed together the sand will keep the boards from shifting as you clamp them up....
    Ohhh that's a good one! I remember seeing it now that you mention it, but it was lost in my memory banks somewhere! Thanks for reminding me!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Just a thought Craig, depending on how much accuracy you need,and how your project is assembled; you may be able to design your patterns so the CW drilled a shallow dowel hole in each layer to hold them in place as you clamp them.
    This method works good for multiple layering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_0303.jpg  

I use the "grains of sand" technique from time-to-time to keep the panels from slipping across each other. Another technique I often use is to use some spring clamps/hand clamps on the edges of the two boards before I apply the clamps and cauls. for the larger glue ups, i think it is important to use clamping cauls (buy them or make your own). It provides for greater clamping pressure evenly spread across the two panels you are gluing together.

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post

Thanks,
    Craig
    You might want to try Stretch Wrap I use it a lot to hold odd shaped projects. It clings to itself and has a lot of holding power. This would work great for a STL project. You could adjust all layers to match at all points. Leave some air space so the glue can set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretch wrap.jpg   Wrap.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 07-30-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12