Thread: Cutting acrylic????

Default Cutting acrylic????

I am ordering my first CW on the 10th of August.I have a bunch of Acrylic letters that I need to cut out for some signs(2" X 1.5" X 1/4" thick) .Will the CW cut these out without a buch of clean-up? If anyone has made these would like to see some pics.

I think we would need to know what type of acrylic. I beleive the CW cuts cast acrylic fine, but I think I read here that extruded acrylic melts and gums up the bit.

here is a recent post on the subject: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...hlight=acrylic
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 07-27-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

That is correct.... Home Depot Acrylic will gum up and stick to the bit and damage the machine.....

You need to buy the more expensive Cast Acrylic. The $2K CW will leave machine marks from the cutter and the resolution of the machine. A $30K 60 watt Laser Engraver is what you need for this task... But you can make due for $28K less as long as you understand you get what you pay for.... Even with a Laser Engraver you need to do clean up.

Go to the Sawmill Creek Forum and the Engravers Thread and there is a bunch of posts about cutting Acrylic but most important to you is the finishing part... Sanding and Flame Polishing......

I went in on the first group of Flame Polisher Buyers from China. It takes water and breaks it down into Hydrogen for a Very HOT very Clean fine flame for Flame Polishing. Many other Flame methods can leave black scorched acrylic. Plus there are some Flame Polishing Tips on You Tube too.

I plan to get into the 1/4 inch Cast Acrylic Cutting by the Holiday Buying season. LED Light the base units.

Good Luck.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The 1/16" cutting bit (the itty bitty bit, I call it) will do a fine job on the cast acrylic for your project, since they are 1/4" thick. You shouldn't have too much clean up and as Al said, for the price...you can't beat it.

My students cut their name signs in the home depot cast acrylic and I didn"t get any gumming on my 1/16 carving bit. They love to do these signs and then decorate them with sharpie markers as you can see!!Attachment 37430Attachment 37431Attachment 37432
    Mabco12