Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first lithophane .. uh... lithopane? lithophains... first pretty lightbox!

Default first lithophane .. uh... lithopane? lithophains... first pretty lightbox!

Here's my first go at a lithophane... simple picture of an EC-130H in 1/4 corian. I used the best setting and centerline text for the text/patch. After carving, the centerline text part was too shallow to show light through (and was uneven in places) so I taped off the c'line portion and spray painted it with Air Force Blue spray paint (enamel), waited 20 mins or so, and then scraped the paint off with a VERY sharp chisel. This left a very clean surface around the painted letters. I then baked (with LOML's dubious permission) the piece in the oven at 350 for about 11 mins and shaped it on a form made from a home depot bucket. I still need to make the stand, but that will have to wait till this weekend. The last pic makes it look like the litho is warped, but that is just barreling from the camera (though the litho is non-concentric from the bucket, it is evenly non-concentric)

Thanks for looking,
    Lawrence

Very nice and impressive..
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Hi Lawrence, ---- I think Litho or Lithos will Do Fine

Good Looking project, Well Done!
    Thanks for Sharing your Photos
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

4. Default

That is awesome .... thank you for sharing. Now that you have made the step over the threshold there is no turning back.

Fantastic work
    love the pictures, thanks for sharing
    Andrew

6. Default

Welcome to the ~Corian~ side of the Force!

That came out awesome, especially for your first!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Lawrence, that came out beautifully! I really like it and I think the blue lettering is perfect - nice contrast! Watch out...when 'the public' sees it, you are going to get buried in litho project requests!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Just curious on this particular litho project that has been done (beautifully I might add)..... what would be a fair price to ask for something like that? Personally, I've never done litho (don't know if I can make that jump just yet), but man does that look impressive. I was just thinking of what the cost was for that particular corian sheet plus the design, plus the carving time, plus the paint/heating/bending time. Seems like there would be a calling for that type work just about anywhere since it's not something that is commonly seen (at least not around here anyway).
    Just wondering..............
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Exellent Job. Thanks for passing it along. Thanks, Capt Barry

Lawrence, what a nice looking job. And thanks for the tips on temp and time for bending the 1/4 corian. JerryB, you asked about pricing a litho, I've been selling mine for $35 for a 5X7 in 1/4" corian. No frame, just a hole at the top and supplied a suction cup & hook for hanging it in a window. With a frame I add another $20 for pine unfinished.....

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast