Thread: How to deal with a board of uneaven thickness

Default How to deal with a board of uneaven thickness

I've got a board of uneven thickness....it varies from 3/4" thick to 7/8" thick.
    yes, I could run it thru my planer, and be done with it...but what I'm wondering, is it possible to take a board like this, that is rough and unplaned, and carve 3 shapes out of it, where all 3 shapes end up being of uniform thickness?

Let's say I wanted to carve 3 appliques out of the board, and each was to be 1/2" thick.

Can I do that when starting with a board that is not of a set thickness?

Do I just tell Designer that the board is 7/8" thick, then draw my 1/2" thick appliques, and carve away, and the 3 will come out 1/2" thick?

Since the CW measures from the top of the board I don't see anyway to do what you're asking. If I understand correctly, you'd like it to do the reverse--measure up from the back of the board and take a deeper cut on the thicker portion of the board than it does on the thinner parts.

Having said that, if you measured the thinner portion of the board you might make it work, but you're risking the bit when it hits the thicker portion of the board that it doesn't expect...

I 'll let the more knowledgeable users answer, but I'd fire up the planer!
    Last edited by gwhiz; 07-20-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

If you put the board in the machine still tapered but AFTER you hot melt glue 2 strips equal to the max thickness to the side of the board it will work. A tapered board will act like a door stop wedge and SNAP you X Gear Box....

But if you glue the wood rails than the machine will not jam....

Making Artwork that works with the reduced thickness will be a Artistic challenge..

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

So, what we are saying is there's really no safe way of using rough lumber with the CW, correct?

I guess, to put it another way, is there any way to use the straight bit, to plane a board, in theory. Say the back side was smooth, but not the top. Is there a way for the machine to plane that board (or even an area for that matter) to a consistant thickness? It sounds like not.

You might be able to assign a carve region to the whole board to plane it down( but I'm not sure), if you had it mounted on a sled, but I think the surface planer is a better solution in my opinion.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleCove View Post
    So, what we are saying is there's really no safe way of using rough lumber with the CW, correct?

I guess, to put it another way, is there any way to use the straight bit, to plane a board, in theory. Say the back side was smooth, but not the top. Is there a way for the machine to plane that board (or even an area for that matter) to a consistant thickness? It sounds like not.
    I see no reason why you couldn't accomplish what you are after by using a sled with sides and assign vetor lines across your board. Have the sled sides equal the highest point of your board. Have the machine find the surface at the thinnest part of your board.

Quote Originally Posted by Router-Jim View Post
    I see no reason why you couldn't accomplish what you are after by using a sled with sides and assign vector lines across your board. Have the sled sides equal the highest point of your board. Have the machine find the surface at the thinnest part of your board.
    That is backwards.... Telling the board it is as thin as it's thinest part would cause a stall when the bit was cutting the thicker areas.... If you wanted to waste the machine time, have the bit touch the thickest part that should be the same or less than the rails. Then assign vector cuts close together to cut the board to your desired thickness.... This would take hours..... and hours.....

Not something I would recommend.... Use the machine is it's most valuable use.... I don't even do cross cutting or jointing.... Waste of machine time and part wear and tear.... There is the right tool for the right job.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I guess I am missing something here, you have a planer, yet you are wanting to waste the CW machine time, risk the chance of the board jamming and breaking the X axis and or breaking the bit!

I second this

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    There is the right tool for the right job.....

AL
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleCove View Post
    I've got a board of uneven thickness....it varies from 3/4" thick to 7/8" thick.
    yes, I could run it thru my planer, and be done with it...but what I'm wondering, is it possible to take a board like this, that is rough and unplaned, and carve 3 shapes out of it, where all 3 shapes end up being of uniform thickness?

Let's say I wanted to carve 3 appliques out of the board, and each was to be 1/2" thick.

Can I do that when starting with a board that is not of a set thickness?

Do I just tell Designer that the board is 7/8" thick, then draw my 1/2" thick appliques, and carve away, and the 3 will come out 1/2" thick?

I only use wood from my Band Saw Mill, and make sure the edges of the board are parallel.

You can loose tracking from the brass roller, do a board size test.

Uneven thickness will change the head pressure and could give big problems.
    (3/4 to 7/8 ) = 6/8 to 7/8, not much change, may work?
    Some times you need a sled to make that work.
    Last edited by bjbethke; 07-21-2010 at 07:51 AM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Plane the board!!!