Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: error 313

Default error 313

I just picked up a compucarve from a friend and it only has 2.5 hours on it but I can't get this thing to do anything. I followed all the instructions that I have and when I turn it on and try to start it I get a message saying "Z axis stall, Error 313 press stop" When I do that it goes back to the main menu and I can start the process all over again. It's fun but I would rather actually do something productive. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I did update the firmware to the newest edition. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I did a white paper check on it and came up with a board sensor of 20. Is this a bad thing?
    Last edited by Wolf; 07-19-2010 at 04:27 PM.

A cure was found. All I had to do was dump the newest version and go back to 1.16XX and the machine is actually doing something now. This is a lot better than watching the bit slam into the wood and them hitting stop but that was fun too(not really).

Wolf,

the software is not the issue you could need a new Z pack, or have bad z truck bearings, also remove the old QC and get a Rock or CT if you can.

would the Z truck, bearings or QC go bad with less than 4 hours
    on the machine? The software might not have been the issue, but
    the problem went away for him. The machine had 3 or 4 test carves
    on it. (he bought our machine)

It may have a broken tooth on the gear too. The thing to do is with the power off run the Z truck up and down and if it is jerky then there is a problem. Another thing the motor is held on by 2 small screws if it has become loose then the motor may not be making contact with the gear. It is easy to check, remove the top hood and then remove 2 screws and the top allen screw with the spring. One screw can be reached through the fins, then drop down from the belt and look at the gears and check the motor. It also wouldn't hurt to remove the black end cap 3 screws, but be careful two screws have a small nut on the end. There might be dust in the cap even with 2.5 hours of cutting.

If that doesn't work, then you have a bad Z pack like LG said or it is an old style. Search Al's post to see the photos to tell the difference.

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Spencemark View Post
    would the Z truck, bearings or QC go bad with less than 4 hours
    on the machine? The software might not have been the issue, but
    the problem went away for him. The machine had 3 or 4 test carves
    on it. (he bought our machine)
    It's not software. If the bearing are not adjusted or the table pressure is wrong then yes.

LG am I off track? Could it be what I posted? What bearings are you talking about? I am learning still after all these years! I just went through this and need a Y motor and I went ahead cleaned and checked the Z motor.

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    If that doesn't work, then you have a bad Z pack like LG said or it is an old style. Search Al's post to see the photos to tell the difference.
    Ike
    It *is* an A machine.. but barely used. Does that mean the the original machines
    suffered from Z axis problems with little/no use? That doesn't seem right..

That is true, but the old Z pack had issues and some worked and others needed replaced. LHR fixed the issues, if my memory serves me they did take care of the the problem when it happened. Just like any mechanical machine sometimes there are faulty parts, vehicles have recalls all the time.

If I am not off track, I would check for dust, the motor being loose and if there is a broken tooth in the gear. If not then it is what it is a new motor is needed!

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    LG am I off track? Could it be what I posted? What bearings are you talking about? I am learning still after all these years! I just went through this and need a Y motor and I went ahead cleaned and checked the Z motor.

Ike
    Hi Ike, did you fix your unit yet? one standard issue with z problems are just dirty truck bearings..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast