Thread: Odd Sized Walnut stump slab

Default Odd Sized Walnut stump slab

I remember seeing a post on how to build a sled to carve odd shaped slabs of wood. If anyone has an idea on how to build and use that type of sled, please let me know. I want to carve an Indian face into the slab of Black Walnut.
    Thanks

I used a few dabs of hot glue on this one and a 3/16" shim on one side to it level,
    then made sure that the side rails and end fillers were all about a fat 1/32" (3 playing Cards) taller than my wood Slab
    the second two I just a couple of short wood screws from the bottom of the sled where I knew the graphic wasn't carving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06677a.jpg   Carving.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-12-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    I used a few dabs of hot glue on this one and a 3/16" shim on one side to it level,
    then made sure that the side rails and end fillers were all about a fat 1/32" (3 playing Cards) taller than my wood Slab
    the second two I just a couple of short wood screws from the bottom of the sled where I knew the graphic wasn't carving.
    What you did is exactly what I'm trying to do. I see the sled if just wide enough to house the slab. The slab I have is a bit wider then yours but I think I can make a sled to fit into the machine.
    Thanks for the hint and help. I understand the piece can't move while carving and attaching from the bottom is a great idea, which I didn't even think of.
    Again Thanks,
    John Hammett

John,

I should have mention, so you and another folks would know,
    the main reason I keep the pressure rollers "just" above the project board on the rails.
    Is to keep the Rollers from crushing the bark and moss that I leave on alot of the slabs I carve.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

i have used screws from the backside to help hold project also.But my judgement as far as where its going to carve tends to be off a lot of times. So plastic screws can be handy and save a bit if you are just a little off.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

One little trick that I use is I've got my side rails marked for center and also my end filler pieces marked for center. I then mark my slab where I want the center to be, using a string I can position my slab exactly where I want it. I also just use hot glue and shims used for construction to get my slab top level. The hot glue holds well and will come off the bark with no problems. Just remember to treat your wood so it doesn't crack when it dries out.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I use the same process as Ken and Jerry.

The only thing I can add is; One time had to add a pieces of paper to bridge the gab between the slab and the end blocks of the sled. For some reason one day I had a lot of trouble with the sensor thinking that it was at the end of the board. So the paper fooled it. This was a one time problem though.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

JW, I too need information on this. I am a Newbie to CW and already place it at the top of my tool list. Any information regarding the construction of a jig or sled is greatly appreciated.

JW, as a follow up to my previous post, I came across this in a forum thread. Thanks to ASKBUD for the wonderful information. Had I taken the time to look, I would not have wasted space here. The link is
    http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-...Use%20Sled.pdf