Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabinet Size

Quote Originally Posted by gwhiz View Post
    Don't forget to allow enough height for the flexshaft to clear the cabinet. I've been toying with building a flip top cabinet to house the CW on one side and my planer on the other--you may have motivated me to get started!
    The problem that I see with a "flip" type cabinet for the CW is the fact that while the CW is going through a several hour carve the other tool is inaccessible. I'm in the middle of building a tower cabinet that holds various table top tools that inter change to a mobile tool base but have left the CW on it's own base for that reason.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Well I got my CW and it's mounted on a 30" wide flip top cabinet with a planer on the other side. The flip top works great and the planer counter balances the CW. It really doesn't seem to be unstable because of that. I'm still in the leaning curve with the CW but I'm putting some crap out.

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Sounds cool. Would like to see a pic of it if you have one handy to post.
    I'll get some soon.

Been watching this thread, and until now I was a little confused about just what you meant by a "flip top".

This has been discussed before - you DO NOT want to hang the CW upside down - first, the mounts on the four corners aren't designed for that kind of weight, and second, the innards are sensitive enough as they are without putting undue, undesigned stress on them, let alone alignment issues, head pressures, etc.

That said, if you want to hang it, hang it. Let us know how that works out for you.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Whoa - I didn't know that was what it meant either! I thought a top flipped up and over the machine to cover it when it went "night, night".

I think cnsranch gave good advice!!! As he put it...
    Let us know how that works out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12