Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's my latest

1. Default Here's my latest

This was carved in poplar on the optimum setting. About 6 hours carve time. This was made from a single pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails horsesign.jpg   upload2.jpg   upload1.jpg  

wow! That looks great. How are your planning on finishing it?
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    This was carved in poplar on the optimum setting. About 6 hours carve time. This was made from a single pattern.
    Now that is nice keep up the good work Terry

Wow, nice job! I have been staying away from poplar because I thought it was too soft to hold detail, but after seeing this I may have to give it a try!!

Craig

Very nice looking, all those antler motif patterns of yours really are sharp.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Wow, nice job! I have been staying away from poplar because I thought it was too soft to hold detail, but after seeing this I may have to give it a try!!

Craig
    Craig,
    When i first started carving i felt the same way about the Poplar, and also found that it left a lot of fuzzies to clean up. Just by a fluke I recently carved a piece that had set in the garage for about 2 years, and used it to test a design, and found it to carve very nicely. The only difference was that it had been setting around so long. I purchased another piece, and it was somewhat fuzzy again. So, i checked the moisture of the wood, and sure enough the new board from Lowes had almost twice the moisture content of the old piece... So moral of the story is that dry Poplar definitely carves "cleaner" and "crisper".

Terry,
    Very nice job on the sign... It looks great!
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    wow! That looks great. How are your planning on finishing it?
    Doug,
    Thats the hard part. I haven't decided quite yet. It is going outside on a gate so the final coat will probably be spar vanish, unless I paint the whole thing. I always lean more towards staining than painting (I hate to coverup the beauty of the wood).
    Last edited by TerryT; 07-01-2010 at 01:02 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    When i first started carving i felt the same way about the Poplar, and also found that it left a lot of fuzzies to clean up. Just by a fluke I recently carved a piece that had set in the garage for about 2 years, and used it to test a design, and found it to carve very nicely. The only difference was that it had been setting around so long. I purchased another piece, and it was somewhat fuzzy again. So, i checked the moisture of the wood, and sure enough the new board from Lowes had almost twice the moisture content of the old piece... So moral of the story is that dry Poplar definitely carves "cleaner" and "crisper".
    Ron, same thing here. This piece has been in the shop for about a year. Carving on optimum left very little sanding to do.

10. Default

Nice Carve!! Yep, poplar is a nice wood to carve in, especially on optimum. That came out really clean. Good design.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast